Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2005, 02:24 AM

Default Re: one annoying sit and go situation

[ QUOTE ]

It's not that hard to play [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I admit pairs are easier to play, but I feel confident enough in my ability to play AK postflop there in a raised pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm just a weak/tight-ass poser [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

Yugoslav
Old 02-27-2005, 02:26 AM

Anyway, its ok, nothing terrible about raising to 90 instead. Its just not my style...but its nice if pepole are going to now call you with Ax and pay you off for all their money if ace hits.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I'm just a weak/tight-ass poser .

[/ QUOTE ]

At least the poser part there is right. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 02-27-2005, 04:42 PM

Look at the bright side you don't have to wonder if you will get paid off if a 3rd spade falls. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Lets give the villain a few more IQ points and say he was playing Ad8d make the raise 90 instead of 120 making the pot 195.

How do you play this hand if you are the villain?
My inclination would be to bet around 200. Fold to reraise.
Push on the turn unless the turn was a 3rd spade or KQJT.
I am assuming curtain that you'd call a bet of 200 in this situation also right?

Any comments.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:02 PM

Villian can't bet 200 and fold to a raise...thats almost 1/2 of his stack. If I was the villian I don't limp preflop or call the raise preflop so it's tough for me to put myself in his shoes.
If my opponent bet 200 I'd move allin for sure. I was moving allin if he checked as well.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:44 PM

So you'd fold A8s from EP even with 30BB stack. When would you play Axs?

Why would you push with AK as opposed to just calling a pot size bet? We are talking about bleeding off 20% of your stack not the 40% that the general consensus says you that you should be pushing.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:06 PM

Calling with A8s in EP in a sit and go is just terrible Calling a pot sized raise is even worse. I'd play Axs in late position under good circumstances (ie no raise, a bunch of callers or sometimes if no callers).

On the flop, calling the 200 chip bet is terrible. If you move allin there is some small chance you get your opponent to fold, whereas still having likely at least a 50% chance to win the hand by the river. The nut flush draw and two overcards here is too strong. You are a favorite against most one pair hands.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:34 PM

I disagree. Easy fold.

What does he have? Most likely, a pocket pair (A8 was not expected before he showed). Now, he might have hit the set, or maybe he has an overpair (99-JJ), or perhaps just 77. It is clear he has SOMETHING. All YOU have is a draw. 9-15 outs. a coinflip at best. A call may be debatable in a ring game, but not on level 2 of a SnG with 1000 chips. You are risk averse . Furthermore, you should be able to outplay them later on.

You raised 4BB pre-flop. There are advantages and disadvantages to this play, as discussed. One advantage to such a raise, is that you might be representing QQ-AA as well as AK. That increases the odds he has a set, given his all-in lead into the raiser (you), and decreases the chance he has only a pair (or two high cards). If you raise with AKs 4BB preflop, you should use the information you are getting from people betting into you on the flop. Needless to say, the fact that we now know he actually had A8 is not relavent at all.

Fold to all-in. Push flop if he checks.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:44 PM

You can't outplay people so much that you have to decline a possible coin flip for 500 of your chips when there is 800 already in the pot. This is a $215 sit and go, where the players don't play like giant idiots all of the time, you generally need to take a situation that is this clearly +EV.
Also I think there is some chance you are a huge favorite if he has a lower flush draw or is simply bluffing. I think this is more likely than being up against a set here.

btw in my opinion there is extremely little chance he has a set. People simply don't bet out into the raiser in this exact situation with a set.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:51 PM

That's why I find it amazing that anyone would fold this.