Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2005, 10:10 PM

Default Re: Party 15/30 dynamics review

heck, I'll have to take a one year break from collage if it continues like this.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had never use any table selection. It's like my religion. 'I want to be able to beat any style of play.'

[/ QUOTE ]

well, i guess thats good if you can beat anybody, but don't you think you're losing a decent amount of EV if you're sitting at a table full of people with 17-25 vpips, rather than one with at least a few soft spots?
Old 02-26-2005, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had never use any table selection. It's like my religion

[/ QUOTE ]

for me, table selection is kinda like my religion. i try not to be in games very often where just beating the rake will be tough.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:39 AM

Default I agree, but..

[ QUOTE ]
but don't you think you're losing a decent amount of EV if you're sitting at a table full of people with 17-25 vpips, rather than one with at least a few soft spots?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, i defenitely loosing some. But does it weigh more than cost of a time i seek for good games?

Maybe yes. But actually it's some kind of 'childhood in my ass' (don't know how it would be correct in English - i just translate it straight from Russian), i feel myself weak when i seek fishes to play with.

Too hard for me to say this in English but i think you must understand: i'll never leave table until i spent pretty big amount of my bankroll even if all the best players in a world we'll be on this table without any fish. I hate deny a fight and i prefer other good players to leave my table to make seat free for a fish and i consider this like my small success.

Loosing decent amounts to better then me players force my researches and educate me. I can analyze my weak spots and analyze his good spots and learn how adapt during game more quickly etc., while seeking fishes looks like a bit degradation to me in terms of improvement, but it's understoodable when you need quick money.

I don't need quick money. For more than half year i have them more then enough for single guy of my age to be happy. I'm really fan of poker for now and love researches and stats and to see how my math make me richer. I had always liked math, programming, stats, science, but in my country all works concerned with this can't help you to live without thinking about 'how many years i will spent collecting money for new car' or 'where can i find 500$ right now to pay this accidential rents'. And that's why i was pretty happy that something i find in my little world can kill my both problems at one time. If i wasn't poker player and have enough money to live with i would defenetely somewhere in observatory studying contents of stars and planets, seeking new quazar and learning space objects movements.

So i enjoy when any excellent player said to me 'well done' or 'good bet' or 'good post' or bad player said angrily that im "russian stupid fool - i was in Russia and all they have - pretty girls and mindless males". Cause this means im doing fine job and others appreciate it in this or other way.

I want to be the best, and until in poker it's nearly unreachable i always have some problems to decide so my mind is usually full of thoughts and my life's full or aims.

And how i can make my play an advices to be better by playing only against fishes? I can't see how anything can force me to improve my game there, as it's too easy to get money from them. So i made some compromise as the fact i don't need quick money - doesn't mean - i don't need money at all and so i never avoid tough table if random "join any free table" at 15/30 leads me there.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:31 AM

Default Re: I agree, but..

very good post. i think i understand what you're saying, even though the direct translation doesn't make much sense. I, as well enjoy getting chances to play against decent players, as the hands with them usually requires more thought, so its more fun. however, i don't mind if there's a few fish at the table to sweeten the pots, and give money away. also, since i'm playing several games at once, a lot of times 1 or 2 of them will have mostly decent players in it, and i'll be focusing more on those games, trying to get some profit from them... but its just nice to always be in at least a few games where people are giving away money while those people still have money to give away.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:41 AM

If you are playing four or less tables, I think you're giving up a lot by not using good table selection. If you're playing more than this, I think you're giving up equity by spending time selecting tables.

-Michael
Old 02-27-2005, 04:10 AM

That was a very impressive post Peter.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:34 AM

I think I'll try and find a way to incorporate the phrase 'childhood in my ass' into my speech at least once this week [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-27-2005, 05:58 AM

I need to remind myself to read every post you've ever made.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
heck, I'll have to take a one year break from collage if it continues like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you'd better stay in college, son.