Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2005, 06:59 PM

Default Re: will rock ever experience another 1991?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a Metal or Metallica fan, but every person I know who fits that definition can't stand The Black Album relative to their earlier work.

[/ QUOTE ]

To contrast this, I don't know a metal or Metallica fan who doesn't list this as one of the greatest albums ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't know any fans who know the genre well, then.

[/ QUOTE ]

note the title of this post is will rock ever experience another 1991, not metal.

As far as metal fans, your response to edge's post was the typical I know more about music than you when you actually dont.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:02 PM

I'm responding to your comments about the metal fans you know, as well as Paluka's post.

edit: more importantly, creating an album that sells well doesn't mean there is actual talent being displayed
Old 02-25-2005, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm responding to your comments about the metal fans you know, as well as Paluka's post.

edit: more importantly, creating an album that sells well doesn't mean there is actual talent being displayed

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to just assume you're not saying there was no actual talent being displayed on the Black Album?

If that's what you're saying, you're probably the type of music guy who likes to listen to bands with 300 fans just because they're "real" and haven't "sold out".
Old 02-25-2005, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it does, although probably not the talent you are taking about...
Old 02-25-2005, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As a metal album it fails miserably, it doesn't break any new ground or have any interesting riffs. Its very boring and unthreatening throughout, lacking any of the emotion/energy that drove earlier Metallica work.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has no interesting riffs? Enter Sandman? The Unforgiven? Don't Tread on Me?

Groundbreaking? The entire album was groundbreaking, basically the first metal group to release a cd with a polished sound like this. And they stuck themselves out by putting a song like nothing else matters on it.

So let me guess you're one of those "self-proclaimed" metal experts who only enjoys those great metal bands of today who only know how to play two power chords and scream over the top of it? Slipknot fan maybe?
Old 02-25-2005, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there a word for a music filmy?
Old 02-25-2005, 07:11 PM

I just think that including the black album on this list is an insult to those other records. All those other ones are great performances by bands doing what they do best. The Black Album is an example of a band whose music has limited appeal selling out in an effort to make money.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Black Album is an example of a band whose music has limited appeal selling out in an effort to make money.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're gonna need to come a lot stronger than that. The Unforgiven, Enter Sandman, Nothing Else Matters, and more...how are these NOT good songs?

EDIT TO ADD: It may not be everyone's favorite, but I think "selling out" is WAY too harsh in this case.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just think that including the black album on this list is an insult to those other records. All those other ones are great performances by bands doing what they do best. The Black Album is an example of a band whose music has limited appeal selling out in an effort to make money.

[/ QUOTE ]

You say this only due to their early work, as though bands aren't allowed to explore other areas of music. A great example of this is the red hot chili peppers. They've retooled their sound from their early days and still put out great albums. You can't argue the greatness of the black album. It's one of the best selling rock albums of all time. It reached a mass audience, and most Metallica fans do love this album, even if they do like some of their other albums better.

limited appeal? Selling out to make money?
They were quite well off before that and were already one of the most popular rock bands out there. Now for some reason because they changed their sound and made something a lot of people liked they sold out? You're like the people who argue that Green Day sold out when they made Dookie, but Dookie is still a great album.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:14 PM

2/5 of those albums suck ass (pearl Jam and U2) and the GNR is a giant MEH.