Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2005, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Help me extract value. HU with AA.

Tough choice. If you raise, you hope he puts you on a flush draw AND you hope he has a hand like KK or QQ and will 3-bet. If he has AK, your flop raise will undoubtedly slow him down immensly and you may lose your customer on the turn.

Calling really loses you nothing here. I would call and raise the turn. I would hope that a spade doesn't hit because that may scare him too (unless he makes a flush which isn't good either).
Old 02-25-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tough choice. If you raise, you hope he puts you on a flush draw AND you hope he has a hand like KK or QQ and will 3-bet. If he has AK, your flop raise will undoubtedly slow him down immensly and you may lose your customer on the turn.

Calling really loses you nothing here. I would call and raise the turn. I would hope that a spade doesn't hit because that may scare him too (unless he makes a flush which isn't good either).

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I'm getting too many bets out of AK here in general -- I'd like to maximize them though.

Any other thoughts?

Rob
Old 02-25-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Reraise. (Was this me or had I already left?)

Your image is laggy enough that you might get BB to play back at you if he has anything worth making a stand against you with. Otherwise it's going to be tough to get much of anything against this type of guy. When you cap (especially at a 2+2 table) it's not as telling as when other players do and it's likely a 2+2er knows that.

[/ QUOTE ]

My image was not super LAGGY at the table, at least to my knowledge. Besides the openraises in LP, I had shown down one, maybe two, suboptimal hands. I was winning 65% of my showdowns and playing decent TAG poker -- so how does that changes things? My openraises that I mentioned earlier were T9s-type hands -- certainly ok raises from MP at this table, for the way the game was playing.

I don't know your username, so I don't know if you were still at the table or not.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]
(It wasn't me. I was LCKYM....)

You weren't your usual 2+2 table self last night but you did 3-bet me a few times pf. I would have remembered past sessions in my read of you though so if you knew you were against me raising would be fine.

Against someone who hasn't played with you calling is better.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:06 PM

What hands do you think he might raise you with preflop?

I raise this hoping to get 3-betted. And I think i'll get 3-betted often since there are not many hands besides the high PP's a TAG will 3-bet you on the flop with. By the way you played this preflop he have to put you on missed over, at best TT. I'll call the 3-bet and raise the turn.

OTOH he might have raise you with other hands than AA-TT/AK since you've been raising loose preflop earlier. I'll still stick with this line, though. EDIT: He'll probably not bet out with these extra hands he might played (missed overs) on the turn anyway.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, so I called. I think there's merit to capping if I know the villain and he knows me, as we can get into some metagame considerations, but I don't know this guy by his username. No clue if he knows me, but my username makes it pretty obvious who I am.

Here's where it gets fun.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero...

[/ QUOTE ]

I would raise and call a three bet hoping to represent a failed free card play.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, so I called. I think there's merit to capping if I know the villain and he knows me, as we can get into some metagame considerations, but I don't know this guy by his username. No clue if he knows me, but my username makes it pretty obvious who I am.

Here's where it gets fun.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice line. The rest of the hand plays itself out.

I just see a lot of people flat calling the flop, or capping preflop and raising the turn sometimes, without thinking about how the rest of the hand will play itself out, what hands you're representing, what hands villain likely has, etc.

<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

River: (10.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 12.25 BB
Old 02-25-2005, 03:29 PM

And the BB says "Damn I got SnG'd twice in the same hand, guess I'm boned!".
Old 02-25-2005, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said... I really like this line (just call 3-bet pre-flop, raise flop and call 3-bet to represent overs, then pop on the turn) as it will extract the most out of TT-KK as long as the board remains raggedy.

That said, if my image has been a bit laggy or my opponent is a LAG/donk himeself, I can sometimes make more by just playing it fast. I usually reserve the above line for hands against "thinking" players.

Tom
Old 02-25-2005, 04:18 PM

This is perfect but you had the easiest board ever to make decisions. It gets more interesting if the flop was like KJ8 or something.

-DeathDonkey