Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2005, 11:24 AM

Default Re: Anyone work fulltime and play 30 hrs or more a week?

I work 8-5 Mon-Fri with a 45 minute commute each way. I play about 2-3 hours a night during the winter on Mon, Tues, Thurs. Saturday, if the weather is crappy, I'll put 4 hours or so in. Same with Sunday.

Weekdays that I'm home by myself, I can put a good 6 hours in during the course of 2-3 sessions. I can't do a single 6 hour session and keep my sanity.

I figure I put somewhere between 10-15 hours a week playing poker on a normal week.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:36 AM

God you know what? Since the beggining of this year. I might be pulling 30 hours a week with a full time job. I never realized it, but its very possible I have been.

<font color="white">by possible I mean, I definitely so, and it might even be 40 hours, I have a problem </font>
Old 02-25-2005, 11:45 AM

A typical day is 9-5 work, hit the gym then relax for a couple of hours playing poker. Even If I have a lot planned for the weekends I will still get in an hour or two in the morning and sunday nights I am usually playing too. I also get in some time during my lunch hour. It all adds up to about twenty hours a week.

I play for enjoyment so it is not a burden. I don't know if I would want to play any more than that though.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:40 PM

Let's see, I get about 8*7=56 hours of sleep a week, then about 20-30 hours of poker, but then they go and muck that all up with a totally unreasonable 9 hours/week of class time. Plus homework, which is usually listening to cool music, or writing (hopefully) cool music, or analyzing cool music, or practicing to be a rock star.

Just thought all you cogs in the machine would like a taste of the other side [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2005, 01:06 PM

yeah, I plan on getting the certificate, so that I can take the test and then most likely get a job. You can't technically call yourself a CFP until you have 3 years of experience I believe.

kevin
Old 02-25-2005, 02:24 PM

I work in IT so I'm in front of a computer all day 9 to 5. But I don't mind spending another 5 hours (with breaks) after work to play poker. In fact, I enjoy it. It's been a year since I got into this routine and I don't see myself getting tired of it anytime soon, probably never. It beats watching TV or going out to the bar. One downside is that I don't get enough exercise and that is something I'm trying to fix. I love poker after a full day's work.

EDIT: I am married and my wife is supportive of what I do, which makes it that much easier. However, with our first child on the way, I have no idea how drastically that's going to change the routine.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I work in IT so I'm in front of a computer all day 9 to 5. But I don't mind spending another 5 hours (with breaks) after work to play poker. In fact, I enjoy it. It's been a year since I got into this routine and I don't see myself getting tired of it anytime soon, probably never. It beats watching TV or going out to the bar. One downside is that I don't get enough exercise and that is something I'm trying to fix. I love poker after a full day's work.

EDIT: I am married and my wife is supportive of what I do, which makes it that much easier. However, with our first child on the way, I have no idea how drastically that's going to change the routine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats... get some sleep now while you can.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:41 PM

I work 30 hrs/wk, but Im not in school this semester. I try to play 40 hrs/wk of poker, which is already hard enough. It's not that I don't have the time, but poker is basically my life right now. Im trying to build up a bankroll.

However, Im going to go back to school in June and July. Classes will be from 8-1 everyday, so my poker game will definitely be constrained. I suppose it's worth it to get 12 hours of credit in June and July though.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats... get some sleep now while you can.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sleep at work... anyway seriously, since I started doing this, I did give up a lot of the other things I used to do, like golf, going out, reading... and sleep is probably another one. I get about 6 to 7 hrs a night on weekdays and catch up on weekends.

Lately, I've been thinking about another line of work that will give me more time for poker with some leisure time. I have no idea what tho...
Old 02-25-2005, 02:54 PM

I do, easily. I work 1-9pm, and play online usually 10pm-4am.