Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2005, 05:43 PM

Default Re: Best Hold \'em advice/article for a total novice headed to Vegas?

Stay out of the Bellagio, the lowest limit is 4-8. Here is a pretty good site with reveiws of the various poker rooms in Vegas:

http://www.allvegaspoker.com

With regards to advice on how they should play: I'd think that if they have high starting card requirements, considering the average hands they will likely be facing, they should be fine unless they get very unlucky.

Of course, your friends might want to gamble it up a bit, in which case they just need to decide how much they can afford to lose up front - then when they inevitably lose that much, they have to stop.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:50 PM

I'll give you big credit for having the cajones to recommend Play Poker Like the Pros on this forum! I thought they stoned people for that here [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

That was actually the first book I read a little over a year ago and I do agree that Helmuth's approach is not a bad way to start out especially if the game is somewhat tight. (At least from what little I remember)
Old 02-24-2005, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll give you big credit for having the cajones to recommend Play Poker Like the Pros on this forum! I thought they stoned people for that here [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

That was actually the first book I read a little over a year ago and I do agree that Helmuth's approach is not a bad way to start out especially if the game is somewhat tight. (At least from what little I remember)

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, I was a little reluctant but what the heck it's decent advice for a novice. My PT stats verify that those are approximately the top 10 starting hands and that you make the majority of your money in limit hold'em from the same 10 or so starting hands.

Play Poker like the Pros was one of the first poker books for me also. I don't remember that much from it either other than Phil's Top 10 and that Phil likes to raise a lot on the flop to "buy information." [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Hey that sounds good, but then I read Sklansky who said "raising simply to gain information is a tricky play and shouldn't be done often." Oops!