Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2005, 06:13 AM

Default Re: Good spot for a bluff? We don\'t talk about those much on here...

Yeah I think this is a fine spot for a value bet on the flop, but a turn checkraise seems -EV.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Possibly. But I think I was bluffing with the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last time I checked, this was impossible.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a pretty standard description of a bluff that may not really be one. Maybe you've you've not heard of a semi bluff? I suggest The Theory of Poker or Hold'Em for Advanced Players to learn more.

Once again, you have nothing better to do than dig up long dead threads in order to find something to feebly attempt to insult me with? Really, you need to find better ways to spend your time.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:17 AM

Not a good spot for a bluff, at all. Its standard check-fold from the flop on. Call me unimaginitve, but i'll call you chipspewing when you get called down by a J or a pocket pair.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I think this is a fine spot for a value bet on the flop, but a turn checkraise seems -EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

A turn CR is by far the most convincing "bluff" here.

But I agree, it may not have been +EV. Then again, I didn't expect a play like this to get much support here.

Stuff like this does, however, make me extremely difficult to play against, which is +EV in the long run.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:20 AM

Of course I've heard of a semi-bluff. But if you think you're semibluffing, say that. You cannot "bluf with the best hand". That's called a value bet.

I dont know why you think this was long dead, it was on the first page.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Stuff like this does, however, make me extremely difficult to play against, which is +EV in the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming anyone is paying attention...
Old 02-24-2005, 06:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course I've heard of a semi-bluff. But if you think you're semibluffing, say that. You cannot "bluf with the best hand". That's called a value bet.

I dont know why you think this was long dead, it was on the first page.

[/ QUOTE ]

A bluff is when you represent something that you do not have.

A bluff with the best hand is when you believe you might be behind (or likely are) but in fact have the best hand.

In this spot, I was bluffing. I did not have the 3 I was representing, or the jack. I was betting purely as a bluff to get my opponent to fold. However, since *he* might have been on a pure bluff, my ace high might have been good, and ergo I might have been "bluffing with the best hand".

I suggest you read a few more poker books if this is unclear to you. Here is an article from Cardplayer where the concept is mentioned, for your reference:

Bluffing with the best hand

Here's a quote from the relevant section of the article:

"To set the stage for the hand I won, let me give you the prelude hand (as best as I can remember it). The structure was $100-$200 blinds with a $25 ante. A player two seats to the right of the button opened for $500. 2003 World Champion Chris Moneymaker was in the big blind and raised to $2,000. The original raiser instantly moved all in for $700 more, and of course Chris called. When the hands were shown, I could not believe my eyes. Chris had been bluffing with an ace and some small kicker like a 6 or 7, and it was offsuit, to boot. However, his opponent had only K-J, so Moneymaker was bluffing with the best hand. How Chris' opponent decided to play K-J for all of his money against a world champion is a mystery to me, as I'm sure it was to all the other people observing this incident. However, the K-J made a pair and the ace did not, so Moneymaker got drawn out on and knocked down to short money, setting the stage for the incident that occurred a few hands later."

In conclusion, I do hope you'll think these flames through a little more next time. This one was weak and stupid--a terrible combination.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming anyone is paying attention...

[/ QUOTE ]

They pay a LOT more attention than anyone on this board gives them credit for. One of the achilles' heels of the players on this board is the sheer arrogance they bring to the table. Many of the fish are only playing one table at a time, and they *do* notice what you're doing. To simply assume otherwise is -EV in a big way.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course I've heard of a semi-bluff. But if you think you're semibluffing, say that. You cannot "bluf with the best hand".

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there is some meat to that statement. In hold'em quite often no one has much of nothing. So quite often you can bet thinking you're bluffing when you just happen to have more nothing than the other players in the hand. Hence, you're "bluffing with the best hand."
Old 02-24-2005, 06:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Of course I've heard of a semi-bluff. But if you think you're semibluffing, say that. You cannot "bluf with the best hand".

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there is some meat to that statement. In hold'em quite often no one has much of nothing. So quite often you can bet thinking you're bluff when you just happen to have more nothing than the other players in the hand. Hence, you're "bluffing with the best hand."

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, see above. It's a pretty common term, actually. I am surprised a regular poster here would be so ignorant about it.