Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2005, 10:12 PM

Default Re: Hypothetical short stack decision late in tourney...

And back to the question...I would definetly not go all in after an UTG raise with ace9. So if my only other option is to go all-in blind the next hand then I will do it. BUT I like the idea of checking your cards once you're UTG and if they're goodies go all-in and if not wait until the BB to go all-in with absolutely anything as the pot will be bigger with the limpers so not only do you have more folding equity but you also have good pot odds if anyone calls because of the limp infested pot. If you assume that one person will call you're all in in each scenario (UTG blind or BB blind) and let's say their are 3 limpers (including the sb) in the BB scenario. You're getting around 2:1 pot odds (not sure if pot-odds is the right term for when you're raising but i think...but anyways 2 dollars in the pot for everyone 1 you put in the pot after the 1 guy calls you're all in) In the UTG scenario you're getting only around 1.2:1, and in each scenario you have the same chance of winning the hand (random hand vs. hand good enough to call your raise with). I know the question is either blindly UTG or with ace9 facing a raise...but I think that answer is awfully obvious, and I'm just presenting another potential way to try and solve the problem.

P.S. check my math

P.S.S. Now that I think about it, in the BB scenario the caller of the all-in probably has a worse hand than the caller of the UTG scenario because he's factoring in HIS pot odds as well, which makes the BB idea sound even more promising.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:27 PM

1. He didn't raise very much.

2. You're going to have less than 3x the BB the very next hand.

3. your stack is most likely easily covered in many spots at the table. This means people can call your next-hand all-in push without breaking much of a sweat. And it will appear desperate so there is a large range of hand you're going to get called with.

4. Your all-in over the top looks like a serious hand. In all liklihood you're going to be HU with UTG. I like your chances.

5. I hate pushing blind.

-Scott
Old 02-23-2005, 11:32 PM

You are committing all your chips knowing you only have 30% equity.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

4. Your all-in over the top looks like a serious hand. In all liklihood you're going to be HU with UTG. I like your chances.

[/ QUOTE ]

You like your chances against an UTG raise? A9 is not a hand you want to bet all your chips with against an UTG raise, because in effect you're just betting all your chips he doesn't have a stronger ace, and to me there seems like a strong likelyhood that he does. Add that to the fact that there are still the rest of the players at the table to play...it's an easy fold. Also, stop worrying about the size of the raise, if you adjust you're mindset according to the size of a raise you are allowing yourself to be easily manipulated. Your calls and reraises should happen according to what YOU have and just THE FACT that your opponent raises, not whether your opponent raises 2.5bbs or 5bbs
Old 02-23-2005, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are committing all your chips knowing you only have 30% equity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets do some math:

Assuming a 150 Ante, and a 10 player table.
500 SB
1000 BB
1500 in Antes
2500 UTG bet
7000 all in push
4500 UTG calls your all-in.

17K in chips total. Your contribution is 7K.

Seems my pot odds are 2.43 - 1. Not sure where you came up with a 30% equity number, but I think my A9s is not that big a dog to the range of hands that make that small raise UTG.

-Scott
Old 02-23-2005, 11:46 PM

I think my Ante might be too big?

-Scott
Old 02-23-2005, 11:47 PM

This situation happens to be from party poker, where there are no antes
Old 02-23-2005, 11:55 PM

In general I agree. But you're ignoring the specifics of the situation where you have few options and are in desperation mode due to your seriously short stack.

-Scott
Old 02-23-2005, 11:56 PM

no wonder I don't play there.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:02 AM

30 percent is a rough estimation of being dead to 3 outs preflop which is what I figure, either your kicker or your A.