Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2005, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Multi-tabling...how do you do it well?

Read the forums. Theres an FAQ on it out there, but I think you learn it best by watching the $1000+65 SNG (hint: there are only all ins from the 100/200 blinds on, and they arent always pushing Aces).
Old 02-23-2005, 05:37 PM

Buy-ins: $20-$50 Party skins $25-109 Stars Turbos
At a time: 8 on party; 6 on Stars
Staggered: No
Display: Dell 9200 w/ 1920x1200 and external CRT 1600x1200

The reason I only play 6 when on Stars is I tend to play regular deep stack poker in the early rounds and do a fair amount of limping and requires more concentration. Also, for practical considerations, it takes too long sometimes for the $55's to fill up; if I wanted to play 8 of them, I would probably be done the first one by the time the 8th one started.

On Party, 8-tabling has definitely helped my ROI since it keeps me too busy to play hands I would normally play at Stars. The video game analogies are very apt. Another way I view it is like a general looking over the battlefield, sure, you can't get reads on every opponent but you will still tend to notice who is aggressive, who will fold to min-raises and who the other tight players are. Levels 1-3 are pretty easy to just sit back and take it all in. At the bubble though things can get pretty hectic, just remember it takes a long time before you time out so don't rush your decisions.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:52 PM

I actually think I do better playing 4 tables as opposed to 1 or 2 as I seem to get bored with 1 or 2 and play things that I wouldn't even think twice about in 4 tables.

I would eventually like to get up to 8+ tables as well. 12 might be pushing it though. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-23-2005, 06:16 PM

How to do it well? There is one major requirement that some of the previous posts don't adhere to: you must have a 1600x1200 resolution monitor to see all of the 4 tables without overlap. With a little experience it is not difficult to have reads on the bubble 4 tabling.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:35 PM

Buy in: $100 Party
Moniter: 1 15" Dell, 1024x768 resolution
Tables: Usually 4 with heavy overlap, occasionally 6 and even 8 when I'm feeling adventurous (just imagine)

I mix up my play depending on the time I have. I sometimes start 4 at once and just finish those, although for my hourly rate I prefer to add a table as soon as one drops if I can play an extended session. Even while four tabling, I usually have notes on about 1/3 to 1/2 of the players at all of my tables by the time the SNG's come to an end. I do adjust to my opponents, but given the structure of SNG's there aren't many decisions that are dependent upon player reads (ZeeJ said, a long time ago, probably 5% of his decisions were based on them). When I play one table at a time, I definitely pick up on more things at that table. However, the hourly rate from playing more tables more than compensates for my loss in ROI.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I currently am 10-tabling the $20+2 at Party, PokerNow

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't get party and pokernow to work at the same time on my computer. Is there some way of getting around this?

BTW to answer the original question, I'm currently learning 8 tabling at the $20s. The jump from 2 to 4 seemed harder than jump from 4 to 8. I think it's just a matter of practise.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:44 AM

The key is to move up slowly. When i first began playing 2 tables it seemed overwhelming and i couldnt keep up. Then in a short time it was almost easier than playing 1 as it kept me more alert. The same thing happened when i jumped to 4 tables. Now I'm playing 8 and i wouldnt say this jump feels easier than playing 4 but by first playing 6 and then 7 and now 8 it wasnt a bad transition.

As for things to look for. I think theres 6 things and im listing them vaguely in order of importance.
1) Stack size
2) Blind level
3) people at the table (this should maybe be higher but its obviousness warrants it being down here)
4) recognizable players
5) obvious players (tight/loose, good/bad) e.g. uses the check fold button when hes in the big blind on bubble
6) less obvious players that u can still get a read on

As i look at that list, its a lot less obvious what order things should go in. I do think the #1 thing is to always keep an eye on stack size especially relative to the blinds and other players. Even if your stack is normal compared to the blinds and others at the table, if somebody has 4000 chips on party poker in an earlier level, this affects the game drastically. Some of my biggest errors have come from raising a normal amount (3BB) against a player with a huge stack like this and folding when he came over the top or whatever like that.

The number of people at the table is also crucial as at 30 and under buyins its just so common for a table to go remarkably fast compared to the others you may be playing simultaneously. At such a table you could be in the money just by folding if you just realized you were down to 5 players halfway through the second level.

I would normally say I dont get reads on people while playing 8 tables. Just today however i noticed a number of calls or pushes i made because i was aware of a player's tendencies. I think a lot of it is almost subconcious. i always sit on the corners so i think i associate my position at the table with the players around me at that table and i can then remember more of their previous hands.

i hope this helps but it was somewhat just me rambling. if anything needs clarifying let me know.
bj