Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2005, 10:35 PM

Default Re: Showing cards

"On a mixed table, showing your cards might induce two of the players to do one thing and two more to do another. How you handle future hands should depend on who is in and what sort of hand you have. It's not simple. You may have created a good time to bluff someone or slow play a big hand. You may have just shown your cards for nothing."

Good luck figuring all this out and developing an effective strategy. I still say that you are giving away a lot of valuable information and I am betting (pun intended) that in the end you are going to only outsmart yourself.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:06 PM

Sometimes I'll show cards if it will get my opponents to show me their cards in return (this hand or a later hand).

For example, I might show AK if it was obvious I had two overcards, and I hit the ace on the turn. A few hands later, my opponent will usually be more likely to tell me what he/she just played if I ask. In other words, I like to give a little if I feel I can get a lot in return.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:25 PM

unless you play medium/high stakes and use it for advertising- don't
Old 02-24-2005, 12:03 AM

Online - I have almost never shown. One time I did (on UB, where I can show and fold), folding top two on the flop to a check-raise. The guy showed the nut straight; I have no idea why he showed that he got outplayed. But no, showing is a bad idea online.

Live, I'll show more often when I don't get a caller, especially if everyone else is showing. Really, I'm not giving people much information, all I'm doing is keeping the game friendly and trying to make believe I'm one of them. I don't think I'd be doing this if I were a limit player, as value betting is so incredibly important.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:19 PM

A friend of mine today reminded me of that winner-take-all invitational tournament where Annie Duke put out Phil Helmuth to win. On one hand they both held top pair with kings, but Annie had two pair with K9. Helmuth was already having a bad streak and was getting frustrated. She got him to fold and when he did he showed his king. She showed him just the nine. Classic.