Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2005, 09:12 AM

Default Re: When the villian slows down and you keep betting without top pair

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think that, in the line Private Joker mentioned, by the time Hero has checkraised the turn, there are so many inferior hands that Villain could have that have the odds to draw with that the possibility of Villain correctly folding ace-rag or pocket twos simply isn't that big of a worry.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but this particular Villain will be calling with those hands anyway, I think. That is, the only thing he's laying down is a pure bluff. So there's not much upside to the c/r. There is, however, the downside I mentioned -- you open yourself up to a 3-bet bluff by an extremely aggro player. And then there's the more mundane downside.... He might just call with something that beats you, but doesn't kill you.

I think joker's c/r line has its place against more reasonable oppos who have some chance of folding a better hand, or at least a hand they have odds to draw with. This oppo just doesn't seem right for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The check-raise the turn line is silly for a number of reasons, but needing to avoid a 3-bet bluff is not really one of the more important ones.

I think Matador played it well. Had a read that the opponent wasn't tremendously likely to have a K here, and played the queens like they were the best hand. Just fine.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:14 AM

Default Re: When the villian slows down and you keep betting without top pair ...

[ QUOTE ]
depending on his propensity to bluff, check-calling might be better. if he bluffs a lot, he's often way behind and you don't want him folding when he's way behind. if that's the case you could probably check raise the river since he'll also often have bottom or middle pair, and he'll call if he picked up a pair along the way. if he's more the type to raise with any pair, then I like your play since you get the most money in the pot and you don't have to worry about him folding a pure bluff

[/ QUOTE ]

There are very few hands that the opponent could have here that don't have at least 4 outs.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:50 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: When the villian slows down and you keep betting without top pair ...

true, the 97 does make just about every hand without an A or a Q (since there are only 2) a straight draw of some sort
Old 02-22-2005, 06:27 PM

Results in white for those who care:

<font color="white"> K2 </font>