Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2005, 06:41 PM

Default Re: My pushing/folding analysis program

[ QUOTE ]

I love it. And I salute inventors.

How is the EV calculated?

Is it based on party poker prize structure?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks.

The $EV is based on the ICM method which has been discussed here at length. It considers all the stacks and the prize structure that you select. By default, this is the Party Poker structure, but you will be able to select from the common sites' structures, or define your own.

There are no "secrets" in this program. I will be writing up the methods used in detail at some point and posting them on the web site. The value of the program is in saving you the trouble of going through all the calculations by hand.

eastbay
Old 02-20-2005, 07:06 PM

This program will seriously kick ass.

I'm wondering how hard it would be to calculate the EV of someone raising you, but not all in - as in, the EV of reraising all in or the EV of folding.

For example:
Blinds 100/200
You're in BB with A7
Button min-raises you, you have him on a range.
What is the EV of re-raising all in, or folding?

Or calling, if that's possible to calculate with some assumptions?

I would seriously pay for this tool, or at least donate. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-20-2005, 07:30 PM

As you're about I'll ask here.

Is this a stand alone tool? I can't use any other spreadsheets and the suchlike posted here because they all involve owning other programs, I'd just like to know if I can own this with the most basic of Windows packages.

Lori
Old 02-20-2005, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This program will seriously kick ass.

I'm wondering how hard it would be to calculate the EV of someone raising you, but not all in - as in, the EV of reraising all in or the EV of folding.

For example:
Blinds 100/200
You're in BB with A7
Button min-raises you, you have him on a range.
What is the EV of re-raising all in, or folding?

Or calling, if that's possible to calculate with some assumptions?

I would seriously pay for this tool, or at least donate. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely.

I mentioned somewhere on the website that more calculators are planned - this is the first one to do after open-push and call all-in. Allowing a limper or raiser behind.

Since this involves a good deal more information, I didn't want to clutter up the open-push calculator with all of that and make it look too confusing. So I plan on having a separate calculator for the limper/raiser case.

I also have a great idea for a v2 of this program that will handle all of these different cases in a single interface. But v1 is too close to being ready and too useful as-is to not finish it ASAP before moving onto that.

eastbay
Old 02-20-2005, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As you're about I'll ask here.

Is this a stand alone tool? I can't use any other spreadsheets and the suchlike posted here because they all involve owning other programs, I'd just like to know if I can own this with the most basic of Windows packages.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

Lori,

It is a fully standalone windows app that should run on Win95 or better.

eastbay
Old 02-20-2005, 08:41 PM

Awesome tool! Do you have any plans to incorporate this program with another program that tracks the other players at the table and automatically determines if they are loose or tight?
Old 02-20-2005, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Awesome tool! Do you have any plans to incorporate this program with another program that tracks the other players at the table and automatically determines if they are loose or tight?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not in immediate future, no.

Note that this is intended more as a review/learning tool than a real-time game aid at present. There's a discussion on my forum about the sticky issues surrounding going that route of real-time analysis.

eastbay
Old 02-20-2005, 10:53 PM

So is it just a simple number-crunching Vbasic program? I had considered tinkering around with something similar but didn't have the motivation to trudge through everything.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So is it just a simple number-crunching Vbasic program? I had considered tinkering around with something similar but didn't have the motivation to trudge through everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not written in Vbasic.

I think if you tried to write it you might drop the "just" and "simple", but yes, it is an analysis, aka number crunching, program.

Of course, every program is in some sense "just number crunching." That's what programs do.

eastbay
Old 02-20-2005, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think if you tried to write it you might drop the "just" and "simple", but yes, it is an analysis, aka number crunching, program.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, when you take all of the issues into account it probably becomes a lot more complicated. How long is a simulation taking on your beta?