Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2005, 03:02 AM

Default Re: 60-120 AA hand

I like it, it looks like you gave up on pushing a huge draw or a slightly worse pair than a Q. Also, if he had a draw he will be forced to bet. The momentum of hands at this level will cause the player you are facing to bet more often than he normally would because of all of your flop action. It's a strange phenomenon, it's almost like an ego thing --- "all that betting, well now I'm going to make you fold, bitch!" Anyways, at this limit I think he's value betting(or bluffing) and calling far more than enough to make this profitable.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like it, it looks like you gave up on pushing a huge draw or a slightly worse pair than a Q. Also, if he had a draw he will be forced to bet. The momentum of hands at this level will cause the player you are facing to bet more often than he normally would because of all of your flop action. It's a strange phenomenon, it's almost like an ego thing --- "all that betting, well now I'm going to make you fold, bitch!" Anyways, at this limit I think he's value betting(or bluffing) and calling far more than enough to make this profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

James. I eat my words. You play genius level poker.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:32 AM

"The momentum of hands at this level will cause the player you are facing to bet more often than he normally would because of all of your flop action."

right. and even the more marginal (but not the worst, and not the better players who sometimes dont push) players always bet any pair when checked to on the river after that sort of action. combo ego and good play learned from very good players.

anyway im hoping and assuming steve was going for a river checkraise here. this was expertly played on every street if that's the case.

the only real question i could think of is whether or not hero should 4 bet his aces here if the villain 3 bets the river. i think the answer is yes.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much the way I looked at it. I really didnt read him for anything like 88 1010 JJ etc given his flop play and his turn call. I figured it was quite possible he was on a draw, but AQ and KK are also pretty logical hands too. Obvioulsly it doesnt do me much good to lead the river when he has a busted draw, and I didnt think he would be able to check AQ behind me on the river. That being said, I might have shown a little bit too much strength on the flop to get two bets in on the river sone of the time in this spot. I guess thats what I'm really curious about. I should have been more clear in my origanal post, but I had no intension of check calling the river, I'm way ahead in this pot.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:47 AM

Good play. I've been doing this river check-raise more often when I know my opponent either has a smaller set or two pair or something. I hadn't thought to pretend I was on a flush draw to get him to bet one pair-- thanks for the tip.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:53 AM

Just to clear up any confusion, I was planning to checkraise the river.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just to clear up any confusion, I was planning to checkraise the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured that when I said, "value betting and calling(as in calling your check-raise," I realize now that could've been more clear in my original post. Either way, NH.

And mike l., I think you definitely 4 bet a 3 bet.
-James
Old 02-20-2005, 06:35 PM

Default results

So I checked the river, he thought for a about ten seconds and couldnt muster up the courage to bet his hand. To be honest I'm really not sure if he decided to check a real hand on the end or if he gave up on a busted draw. Either way it seemed like the right spot to check. Mike, as far as a three bet, I'm really not sure what I would have done, but I was so sure I was ahead up to that point I would have seriously considered 4 betting.