Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2005, 03:48 AM

Default Re: 10/20 hand, lots of action... running trips

raise dude.. simple..
Old 02-19-2005, 04:07 AM

uhm, its checked to him, perhaps its worth reading the action a bit more carefully?

I would bet here and call the raise, because getting 3-bet would suck like nothing else. Similarly there is a possibility of having this hand checked through given the coordinated nature of the flop
Old 02-19-2005, 09:05 AM

I thought about it for a few seconds then bet, button raised, SB folded, I had to call, button showed AA and raked in the pot.

My first instinct on the river was to go for the check-raise, but it seems playing it that way only costs more when I'm behind and misses bets when I'm ahead.

With me holding the nut flush draw, the only hands I can see the button playing this way are a set or 2 pair (although the open-limp on the button really confused me,) or something crazy like a big ace, smaller flush draw, or straight draw. If he has 2 pair and I check, he likely checks behind the river and I miss 1-2 bets. If he has a draw of some sorts and I check, he might stab at it, but likely gives up and I probably miss a bet out of the SB. If he has a set and I check-raise, I'm probably calling a 3-bet on the river from him in a pot this size. Him having a big ace is probably the only situation in which I'd actually be getting value by check-raising, and I really don't put him on anything besides 2-pair or a set.

Am I missing something? The more I look at the hand the more I think betting has got to be better than checking.
Old 02-20-2005, 04:10 PM

I understand that. I was saying those two hands are unlikely because the button would have raised them before the flop. Thus, hero's hand is likely good.