Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2005, 11:01 AM

Default Re: How do you play small pairs late in the tourney in EP? Need advic

Again, how were the two AA hands played? If they were limped in with or come in with a small raise then a push here would very little folding equity. You will now be called with mid to high pairs in which you are in very bad shape, or two over cards in which you are 50-50. This makes a push -EV here.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:06 AM

Default Re: How do you play small pairs late in the tourney in EP? Need advice.

[ QUOTE ]
This is a definite fold. It is a horrible hand to play from UTG at this stage of the tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

Precisely what I was thinking.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:12 AM

I don't think it really matters that much how he played AA. People are most likely going to put him on AK/AQ or a mid pair anyway and then ask themselves if they want to race.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think it really matters that much how he played AA. People are most likely going to put him on AK/AQ or a mid pair anyway and then ask themselves if they want to race.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow! I guess I am giving people too much credit. Are you telling me that you wouldn't notice if in the last 10 hands somebody showed down AA twice. Further to that, you wouldn't take note to how he played it? If he limped in with it twice, then I think you can pretty much disregard a high pair here if he pushes.

If that is the case don't you think your folding equity severely takes a hit. If you have little folding equity, then why would you want to be playing 66 from UTG?
Old 02-17-2005, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is a very borderline, I would probably muck here but push if there were 11 or 12 people left. Your hand is very weak, but you have a lot of folding equity at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he has LESS folding equity at this point. THe fact that he showed down AA twice in the last 10 hands shouldn't give him more folding equity.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is is not why I say he has folding equity: He has a lot folding equity because of the stage of the tournament and the fact that he would be pushing with 10BB.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Wow! I guess I am giving people too much credit. Are you telling me that you wouldn't notice if in the last 10 hands somebody showed down AA twice. Further to that, you wouldn't take note to how he played it? If he limped in with it twice, then I think you can pretty much disregard a high pair here if he pushes.

If that is the case don't you think your folding equity severely takes a hit. If you have little folding equity, then why would you want to be playing 66 from UTG?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, you see a guy UTG push with 10BB. You know he's had AA twice in the last ten hands and lets just say he limped with both (which is a hell of an assumption). You have 14 BB, no one else is in, what do you play with in MP, LP and from the blinds?
Old 02-17-2005, 11:44 AM

What I'm saying is that the range of hands needed to call AK-AJ,JJ-22 from a short stack isn't much different than the range of hands needed to call AK-AJ,AA-22. So your folding equity doesn't change much.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:45 AM

AA hand 1: folded to me on button, I raise 3xBB, blinds fold, I show AA, which i'll do on ocassion to show I wasnt stealing and set up later thievery ( I probably should stop
this)

AA hand 2: Folded to me in LP, I raise 3X bb, only caller is very short stack BB, who I beat.

two hands later I played a hand that wasn't shown, and I raised it up from MP, but had to lay it down after getting called pf and bet into on the flop.

I guess the point is, after all that recent action, I've got no folding equity from a subsequent UTG raise?
Old 02-17-2005, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
AA hand 1: folded to me on button, I raise 3xBB, blinds fold, I show AA, which i'll do on ocassion to show I wasnt stealing and set up later thievery ( I probably should stop
this)

AA hand 2: Folded to me in LP, I raise 3X bb, only caller is very short stack BB, who I beat.

two hands later I played a hand that wasn't shown, and I raised it up from MP, but had to lay it down after getting called pf and bet into on the flop.

I guess the point is, after all that recent action, I've got no folding equity from a subsequent UTG raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly! Plus a push here would seem suspicious because of the fact you raised 3x BB with AA twice.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:50 AM

"This is very very situationally dependant. I'd be interested to know about how the two AA hands went. You only have 10BB, so you either started with very few chips, took a beat, or did not get much money in on them.

This is a very borderline, I would probably muck here but push if there were 11 or 12 people left. Your hand is very weak, but you have a lot of folding equity at this point. I would be less inclined to push here if I recently had aces cracked, since it may look like I am steaming and I don't want any calls.

Again, closer to the final table bubble, if the table is playing tight, I would consider pushing more, but here I think it is a fold, take your blinds, and look for a good steal opportunity in late position. I would definitely push 99/AJ and up here. "
------------------------------------------------------

All of this sounds right, and jibes with my experience playing with and against these type of hands. I'm going to make this change.

Thanks.

Re the AA hands, see my other post.