Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2005, 01:02 AM

Default Re: wireless router question!

Intel Pro 2200 is a b/g card. Don't sweat it.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:03 AM

thanks man. i just placed an order.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:17 AM

Old 02-17-2005, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I never expected this.

:applause:
Old 02-17-2005, 01:19 AM

oh damn, i lol-ed seeing arnie! hehe [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 02-17-2005, 05:20 AM

I got the one Vegas posted and it just DOESN'T WORK with DSL I guess. I can't even install it into my laptop. I dunno what's wrong. I'm pretty computer literate. So just be careful and make sure you keep receipts and stuff cause I made a $70 mistake and now it's just collecting dust. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 02-17-2005, 07:03 AM

Linksys routers are better than Netgear... But you have already ordered so I digress
Old 02-17-2005, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Linksys routers are better than Netgear... But you have already ordered so I digress

[/ QUOTE ]

Linksys are also more expensive, less easy, more difficult to upgrade, and finicky. Additionally the netgear that is best suited for this application, the WGR614, scores higher overall on CNET, getting extra points for *ease of setup* which is a key point in the OP. I have owned both and find the range on the netgear to be greater as well. The tests on CNET didn't directly compare them, but did mention some range issues with the Linksys. So yea, Linksys is not better, just different.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:56 PM

We just bought 2 wireless cards. I went for 108 rather than 54 MBps, because, well because is computing, more is good. I see you say all he needs is 54 Mbps, could you explain what this is all about?
Old 02-17-2005, 03:05 PM

108Mbps is software based. Let me try to explain. The actual data is still being transmitted at the 802.11g standard, but compression allows larger files to transmitted as smaller ones on the fly. This is all good except for what they don't tell you:

1) each companies 108Mbps technology is proprietary, and works EXCLUSIVELY with that company's producs.

2) Notebooks (in general) do not have 108Mbps cards in them, so you would not gain from having a 108Mbps router.

A little bit of added info on point 2, if for example your notebook only had a (slower) 802.11 b card in it, you would still benefit from using a G router because the signal strength on G routers is more powerful, and G routers allow for mixed-mode operating, which would allow you to upgrade wireless cards without outdating your router.

Furthermore, I always ALWAYS steer people away from proprietary crap, as this is bad for the market and bad for the user. If you are running a 108Mbps router with your notebook, 98% of the time you are only running at 54Mbps anyway, and given that there is a significant price gap in 54Mbps technolgy and that of 108Mbps, 54 is a better choice all around.

Edit: 2 108Mbps cards do nothing for your network if you are not running a 108Mbps router of the same brand.