Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2005, 04:19 PM

Default Re: Damn min-raises and *%& me for not calling them…

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
I'm looking, but still don't see any raises of any type here.

If your talking about the min bet on the flop, you've got bottom pair, bad kicker, no draws, but position. Easy fold IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, he's talking about a mini-bet, not a mini-raise.

"Easy fold"? Getting 7 to 1 odds and everyone showing weakness? I guarantee you that if he makes a strong raise on the flop he wins the pot. And at worst it's a marginal fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with that is that this is the first hand of an MTT.

In reality - is getting up to 1650 chips when everyone starts at 1500 really going to make a difference in the long run?

You have no reads - what if someone was slow playing a monster. You raise to 250 - and they re-raise all in.

There is no way you are going to call an all in on the first hand with Bottom pair, and now you are down in chips to under 1200.

Given the choices of 1650 or 1200 vs. a guaranteed 1480 - I'd take 1480 based on this time and this situation any time.

you only know you could have bought this pot because of the way it played out on the turn and river.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guarantee you that if he makes a strong raise on the flop he wins the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I guarantee you wouldn't make this statement if you hadn't seen the turn and river action. Unfortunately, Hero doesn't have that info.

He's getting 7:1 with about 9:1 on hitting his 5-outer.

BTW, I thought the discussion was fold/call. I agree raising is another possibility, but I'm not convinced that everyone has shown weakness. Only a strong bet can verify this, and I personally would not be movimg a lot of chips into the pot on the first hand of the tourney (and thus no reads) with this hand.

Edit: LOL, Cleveland Guy, you beat me to the punch with almost the same post [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 02-17-2005, 05:58 PM

easy fold. your draw is not even close to the nuts. 2 of your "outs" put a 3-flush on the board in a 4-way pot. hitting any of your "outs" could cost your stack against a set/bigger 2 pair. toss it.

might be playable if the board was rainbow with a diamond.