Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2005, 09:11 PM

Default Re: Question: WSOP ME or US Presidency?

Most of the men who dislike HRC don't dislike her because she's a woman with power.

I feel qualified to discuss HRC because she's my Senator, and I've met her. I also dislike her. I dislike HRC because she is more concerned with her own political career than with taking care of the needs and wishes of her constituents. Our other Senator does a much better job with constituent relations, hence his much higher approval rating.

I also dislike HRC because I don't feel that she is an honest woman, and that she would gladly step on as many people as she could to become president of the United States.

One more reason. She's a bigot. She's made anti-Semitic remarks in the past("you ******* Jew *******") and she also stereotyped all South Asians as convenience store owners when she made a Ghandi joke.

The politics forum is probably better for this discussion, but that's what I think.

She's a really bad example to use to prove your point that someone can't win because she's a woman, because Hillary is a very polarizing figure and almost everyone in the United States has either a positive or a negative opinion of her already.

And I say all this as a registered Democrat who voted for John Kerry last November.

I would not vote for her for President, much less Senator, and it's not because I don't want women in power. I would gladly vote for a woman who I agree with politically as long as I judged her to be an honest and caring person. In my opinion, HRC does not meet either of those qualifications

-Dead
Old 02-16-2005, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
B. All it takes is one lady to get on a run.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same with A. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I predict it won't be Hillary, though.

Edit: I say that because I think it will be a lot easier for a female to be elected President if she's a Republican.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think will come first:

A. a female president of the US
B. a female WSOP ME champion
C. neither will happen, the end of the world will come first

[/ QUOTE ]

society today is starting to become much more diverse as a whole. 50 years ago no one ever thought that a black man would be succeeded by a black woman as secretary of state. that being said, society is not ready for a woman president yet. i am 25 and many men in my generation are very patriarchal in their ideologies. it is going to be a couple of more generations before society gets to that point.

Jennifer Harman is a world class poker player. If she gets a lucky streak she could very well win a wsop me (so could annie duke for that matter, i just don't think that she is as good.) when you consider the field that these 2 women are up against, the odds are not very good. it is probably going to be a while before either happens, but if i were a betting man i would put my money on a woman winning a wsop first.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:44 PM

A woman president will have to be A) a Republican and B) ugly.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:56 PM

With the way we think as poker players, I'm sure the answer is B), only because there is a WSOP every year and the presidential election is every four. Thus, women have greater odds from the outset to win the WSOP because they have more chances to do so.

That said, the international community is VERY impressed with C. Rice right now. Can you see it four years from now: Rice vs. Clinton? I, for one, would love to see it.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:17 PM

I would guess there are about 50 top male pros for every top female pro. That means the odds are probably around 50-1 of a woman winning the WSOP in any given year. But I don't think it will take 50 years for a female President, so I think A is more likely.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
only because there is a WSOP every year and the presidential election is every four. Thus, women have greater odds from the outset to win the WSOP because they have more chances to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if I have 4 chances to hit my 1 outer and 1 chance or hit my OESD, the 1 outer is more likely?
Old 02-16-2005, 10:24 PM

Voltron, the situation you brought up, I believe, does not apply to the argument.

But I think you mean something to the point of: There will be a bigger field in the WSOP and thus, more obstacles for women in that event to overcome to win the ME ... WHEREAS in the presidential race, there are less players so more of a chance?

If that's what you're trying to say, I'll buy that. I just don't see how your example applies. No offense, of course ... and if I'm wrong, help me understand.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:50 PM

I can't think of a female candidate that jumps out right now as electable- it may just be a lack of exposure (Mrs. Clinton has no chance in my opinion- too much baggage)
Old 02-16-2005, 11:36 PM

Well, the main reason I used her is that she is closest to A happening that we likely will get for many years.