Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2005, 11:23 AM

Default Re: numb/prickly mouse hand

It is called RSI, repetitive strain injury, and it can actually get pretty serious if you don't do anything about it. I had co-worker that had to have hand surgery and one that simply gave up working in the IT field. And no, I'm not kidding.

I don't know if this link is any good but you can read some about it here including some preventive measures. Try to take care of it before it gets more serious.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:53 AM

I've been using a mouse/computer nearly daily for 20 years and haven't experienced anything like that.

The worst I get is computer elbow (just ugly elbow skin from it resting on the arms of the chair so often).
Old 02-16-2005, 12:42 PM

I'm on the computer about 16 hours a day between work and poker or whatever... I used to have all kinds of concerns about carpal tunnel... so I went out and bought a trackball, which helped, but didn't fix anything... so... I started playing w/ my poker chips all day. I even carry 20 or so w/ me to work. I've found that stopping for a second to shuffle or try to learn a new chip trick has really helped! (my wrist AND, more importantly, I can impress my family and friends w/ all of my fancy chip tricks!) Might be worth a try.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is exactly my problem - numbness in those two fingers of my mouse hand (but not my left). Are you saying this may be a back issue rather than a hand/arm issue? If so, why only the one hand?
Thanks for any suggestion, been this way for a couple of weeks now and it's getting annoying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Classic (so I'm told). Mine started on just one side about eight years ago and soon progressed to the other, as well. I have been through PT twice, the last time ending about two years ago. It comes and goes.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:08 PM

I take lots of breaks and switch hands often during a session. You might also consider using an auto clicking program so you don't have to click 1000s of times a day.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:00 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

this will happen really easy if your desk is too high (wrist resting heavily on the edge)