Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2005, 08:18 PM

Default Re: How to maximize this hand?

[ QUOTE ]
I'll break this up for you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Priceless.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:07 PM

Alex,
By your logic would you then fold small pp's to a raise because you think he has a larger pair and thats that, or do you debate that he has Ak and move in. lol, how much do you profit with never making a dime from flopping a set vs a big pair?
Old 02-13-2005, 10:16 PM

For my two cents, I think we are not focusing enough on the nature of the players who called and raised. I think a call from UTG+1 could be quite strong. He is calling a reasonable raise pre-flop with a lot of guys behind him. The MP call is less strong, as he is getting some pot odds.

The BB raise really depends on the player. A strong player is not making this move out of weakness because he makes this raise knowing he is opening himself up to the potential of a big re-raise from UTG or UTG+1. If he is good, he is aware of this and presumably is ok with it. Therefore, I think that iceman should assign a high probability to AA or KK here, but also give some probability to AK. The interesting thing about iceman holding QQ is that if BB did not min raise with AA, KK or AK then he most likely did it with Jacks or lower. How likely is that?

Now this being said if BB is a weak or stupid player, his raise may mean nothing at all. Some people even think they are stealing when they make moves like this.

Iceman, of course, was right to call. With $88 in the pot and only $16 to call, the pot odds are impossible to turn down unless UTG+1 is definitely going to re-raise. Is he?

Now, all this does not mean he shouldn't re-raise. I think it all depends on the players. If UTG+1 is a weak player, then he might have called with any two cards and fold to a re-re-raise. If BB is weak, as noted before, it might be better to find out where he is. Again, it all depeneds on the strength of the players. IF there is a big probability of AA or KK, call, otherwise reraise, you might drive out hands that would draw out on you and not have to play QQ against an overcard on the flop.