Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2005, 08:52 PM

Default Re: Best poker laptop for college

Dell's might have pretty specs but they don't last long and they have terrible support.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:56 PM

Number of processor manufacturers: 2
Number of name brand harddrive manufacturers: 5
Number of name brand RAM manufacturers: 6

I could build a Dell. Dell buys EVERYTHING they put in the computer from someone else. Just like everyone else does (except maybe IBM, but just the harddrive). The components that make up a computer are all the same, the only differences are price and service.

The only exception may be the choice of motherboard, in which there are a wide variety of companies producing them. Even with that, there are only about 3 or 4 quality companies producing motherboards that the computer companies buy from.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:57 PM

Actually you are wrong on both counts. Dells last forever. I recently sold a p3 800 that had been going strong for years. Also, their support rules because they just replace it if there is a problem.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually you are wrong on both counts. Dells last forever. I recently sold a p3 800 that had been going strong for years. Also, their support rules because they just replace it if there is a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I've had great success with support and when they F up they replace it and usually give you fat coupons. I got a $100 credit, a free camera and an extenstion on my warranty when I had an issue with my hard drive.

I would say 512 is fine. If you want to save a little and have any computer savvy at all I would recommend getting 256 or 512 from dell that takes up a single slot and then buying another ram chip from Crucial (www.crucial.com). This will bulk up your ram and save you some cash. Also crucial has probably the best support of any computer or technology company I have ever dealt with.

You might want to splurge for a little more than 512, though that will definitely suffice. PT and PV along with the poker app and some other things like your web browser takes up a shitload of memory so might want to consider 756 or 1gb if you can afford.

Also I forgot that you were just starting undergrad. I never used a laptop in class there and I don't really know anyone who is in undergrad right now that does either. Though I must say it is imperative for law school, so it couldn't hurt for undergrad either. Though it would depend on the classes. The science classes and math ones might be hard since it is all numbers and lots of picutres. So play it buy ear. I would say that your comp with be put to way more use playing poker, gaming and browsing than it will be for taking notes.

I think the specs you put up are fine though and will treat you just fine. Consider only getting a single Dimm for your ram though so you can upgrade w/o losing any existing memory. That all depends on your budget though.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:03 PM

i have the dell 8600 which can handle 4 games with no overlap, but i think it's too big to carry around, and it looks like its made out of plastic. try to buy a thinner laptop like sony or asus and display resolution of 1400x1050 will do. but then on the other hand, i think you should concentrate more on school and less on poker.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:07 PM

This is true, school is more important than poker. However, not getting a good laptop that can 4-table with no overlap seems foolish. Hence, this thread.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Even with that, there are only about 3 or 4 quality companies producing motherboards that the computer companies buy from.

[/ QUOTE ]

For laptops, it's even worse. All *consumer* class laptops are made by two Taiwanese companies which happen to be located across the street from each other. HP, Dell or whoever just fills in a "design" sheet that says "put blue LED here", "put power switch here" and "put logo here".

The better business class laptops (Thinkbook, higher-end HP, etc) are another matter, and are usually designed in-house with some manufacturing outsourced. I'm not sure which category Dell Latitudes fall into.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:52 AM

I dont really know of any laptops that have resolution of 16x12 and higher except for the dells but they were too big for my taste. I have a viao and just bought a 2001fp to hook up to it. My laptop is pretty light [under 5 pounds] and get decent resolution 1400x1050 so I can 4 table with a bit of overlap if I want. I can also carry it everywhere, which I do. I dont know what people are saying about not taking notes on laptops, although the majority of students dont in every one of my classes there are a few. I just love taking notes on them and take much better longer notes than I would writing. So just from personal preference I would say go lighter with 1400x1050 instead of bigger with gigantic screen resolution.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:50 AM

If you do want to take a lot of notes on the laptop, I would recommend a tablet style notebook, particularly if you are going to be in a lot of math/science classes.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you do want to take a lot of notes on the laptop, I would recommend a tablet style notebook, particularly if you are going to be in a lot of math/science classes.

[/ QUOTE ]

How are the tablet ones? Are they pretty accurate when writing on them? Are you able to type on the keypad and write with the stylus on the screen at the same time? That would be bad ass if you could, but i doesn't look like that is possible when i've glanced at them a couple times in the store. Could be a good move, though I believe the selection is rather limited and don't know if one has 1600x1200 capabilities.

Oh and as far as weight goes, I carry my laptop and a backpack with all my books around all day the the laptop weight is the least of my worries. The 8600 is relatively light especially for its size. The bigger screen makes it nice for reading too which makes viewing 2+2 better [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]