Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2005, 11:37 PM

Default Re: Josh Ariah Interview in Bluff

[ QUOTE ]
Just as a point of reference.

If you are a great tourney player, and a HORRIBLE cash game player...(as some describe Phil Hellmuth to be)

Tourneys are much more profitable than cash games.

[/ QUOTE ]

true, but i don't think Phil is a horrible cash game player--- just not a very good one. i think if he put his mind to it and his ego aside, he has the bankroll to become a world class one. it would still take time though.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:41 AM

I doubt that. Making 70 out of 100 3-pointers at NBA distance in one session isn't easy, even unimpeded. Fatique will often play a factor. In fact, I think your full of it.

Do you have any facts to back up your claim?

Frank
Old 02-12-2005, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt that. Making 70 out of 100 3-pointers at NBA distance in one session isn't easy, even unimpeded. Fatique will often play a factor. In fact, I think your full of it.

Frank

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this comment. In fact, the all-time NBA 3-point percent leader is Steve Kerr with 45.4%.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:07 AM

Most gyms don't have NBA distance three point lines, and I don't think its impossible once you get going. You just keep shooting a set shot(less tiring than jumpers) from the same spot.

Phil Hellmuth might not be a horrible cash game player but in the big games, you have to be better than not horrible to make some money against other pros.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Frank

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this comment. In fact, the all-time NBA 3-point percent leader is Steve Kerr with 45.4%.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's hit percentage in games though. If you've ever watched an nba warmup or charity game you'll see that a whole bunch of them barely ever miss. I've seen alonzo mourning (a center) hit 8 of 12 or something from three.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just as a point of reference.

If you are a great tourney player, and a HORRIBLE cash game player...(as some describe Phil Hellmuth to be)

Tourneys are much more profitable than cash games.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but Josh has stated that tournaments are more profitable in general, not just for particular players:

[ QUOTE ]
PokerLizard: How does your strategy online vary from live games?

Josh: I haven't played much live lately. I think that in this day and age of poker, that it is much more profitable to do good in tournaments, so I don't want to spend my time that I could be using resting, playing in a live game.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-12-2005, 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Frank

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's hit percentage in games though. If you've ever watched an nba warmup or charity game you'll see that a whole bunch of them barely ever miss. I've seen alonzo mourning (a center) hit 8 of 12 or something from three.

[/ QUOTE ]

So the greatest 3 pt. shooter in the history of the game is 45%. So lets pretend he's warming up. Does the greatest 3 pt. shooter in the history of the game miss 2 out of 10? How about a 5'5 poker geek with no apparent athletic ability? Seems like there might be a disparity, even in the most benign conditions. But wait, there's 35K on the line for the 5'5 dude with no athletic ability. I think there's a strong chance he could actually miss 4 out of 10.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:39 AM

Taking a 100 3-point shots without jumping may be less fatiguing in a certain sense, but you better have arms and shoulders of steel....

Watching Larry Bird win the 3-point shooting contest at the NBA All-Star game, one thing stood out in my mind, Bird was able to shoot all of his shots without jumping..but that was Bird, most of the other guys had to jump to get the distance, and they tired, and accuracy suffered. And these were top NBA 3-point shooting pros.

Of course, the time constraints were tight, and they had to move around the key, but making 70 of 100 3-pointers, even given 15 minutes and staying in one place....piece of cake? I think not.

Frank
Old 02-12-2005, 03:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you've ever watched an nba warmup or charity game you'll see that a whole bunch of them barely ever miss. I've seen alonzo mourning (a center) hit 8 of 12 or something from three.

[/ QUOTE ]
there is an enormous difference between casually knocking down some treys in warm ups and TRYING to knock down 70 out of 100. so dont think that if alonzo mourning TRIED to knock down 70 three pointers out of 100 he could do it because you saw him casually hit 8 out of 12 which is below 70% by the way.
Old 02-12-2005, 04:21 AM

Default Re: About the 3 pointers

I'm really suprised there are people doubting whether the guy could make the shots. And actually using NBA 3 point percentages to back it up. This is terrible reasoning. Do you know what the record is for consecutive free throws made is? I don't know exactly but its well over 1000. Shooting is a very small part of what makes an NBA player great. Most of the greatest shooters in the world don't play in the NBA. They are guys that you have never heard of that that practice just shooting from a standstill. I would not bet against finding someone who can make 90%. I know that you can find someone who can make 99% from the free throw line.