Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2005, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Affirmative Action - Thomas Sowell

Well, I made the attempt in my original post in this thread. Basically, I think that when we speak of racial differences we are really speaking of cultural differences. My main argument is that if you were to take any of the various shades of people and place them in a different culture for multiple generations, they will take on the characteristics we associate with whichever skin tone is associated with that culture. Lets say that a single white man lived in Africa before the slave trade and his family lived there for multiple generations. Said white man was brought over as a slave, his family lived through a typical "black" existence during the course of a few hundred years, and after slavery ended, his family followed a course of hard farm labor or factory work. Eventually his offspring ends up living in ghetto conditions in Chicago, where they currently reside, living in relative poverty with limited prospects. Let us also assume that his family, because of its background, experienced typical US racism despite the fact his family was technically white. Now that is an extreme example, but it proves the point. Given all of that, the characteristics of this family fit those of a black person, given racial profiling. Prospects for education are lower, likewise good jobs, etc. Given the background of hard physical labor, it is likely that this family is very physically stout after generations of hard labor. Given that we are at bottom just animals, it is likely this fictional family is more physically gifted than the average white family in the US, which has implications for sports. Also, this family is more likely to be involved in drugs and crime, given the lack of bright prospects. In short, this family would have all the characteristics that make racial profiling seem valid, when in fact it is cultural profiling.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:56 PM

You posted this when I was making my other post. I disagree here. I don't think it is genetics, but rather breeding over multiple generations in a cultural climate which creates our unique racial characteristics.
Old 02-12-2005, 07:51 PM

If I am on an island with just enough shade for one person, and it's me and a black person, I believe I should get the shade, assuming that it will damage me more than him.
Old 02-12-2005, 07:52 PM

I do not think, at birth, any asian is smarter or stupider than any other race.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:27 PM

That is simply not true and it has been shown scientifically that they are smarter when you look at the bell curve.

Why do you find it hard to believe that some groups are smarter or dumber than others? Do you not think blacks are genetically gifted athletically?
Old 02-12-2005, 10:43 PM

Actually, I just learned about these bell curves in psychology so I feel I have a good enough idea to explain. The bell curves, if you actually look, are very similar. While the "average" may be slightly better for one particular group, the range is still about the same. Actually I explained that horribly. In any case, if you look at Kaz's wording more carefully, I think you might notice something.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:45 PM

The argument could be made that blacks come from environments in which basketball is played much more often... also from environments where physical behavior is important. Im not sure I agree but that's a case.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:46 PM

Default Re: read the article

For those of you interested at all in the topic, I strongly encourage you to read it.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:15 AM

Mind showing us the link?
Old 02-15-2005, 02:11 PM

affirmative action is racism, pure and simple, it should be abolished.