Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2005, 05:03 PM

Default Re: Banned....

[ QUOTE ]
Getting banned is exactly what you should have expected.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

I guess anything offensive to SOME people qualifies for a ban now.

Scary.

I don't like this new overzealous moderation.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can't figure out why using the picutre of the man who orchestrated the murder of thousands of people in New York and Washington is not welcome here, then you're clueless.

Why is it that some people act all high and mighty to defend the rights of the Osama picture (others have used it before)? But, they then get upset when 2+2 exercises its rights to remove that person from their privately owned discussion board? Since when are the rights of insensitive jerks more important than the rights of a typical citizen?
Old 02-11-2005, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can't figure out why using the picutre of the man who orchestrated the murder of thousands of people in New York and Washington is not welcome here, then you're clueless.

Why is it that some people act all high and mighty to defend the rights of the Osama picture (others have used it before)? But, they then get upset when 2+2 exercises its rights to remove that person from their privately owned discussion board? Since when are the rights of insensitive jerks more important than the rights of a typical citizen?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post. The same exact issue came up a few years back on the CAL boards (competitive gaming) with posters who were using nazi themed avatars. If the board is privately run, and the moderators and members dont like it.... get rid of it. Its not oppression, its just the will of the private group.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:16 PM

Dynasty,

You have to understand that I wasn't just talking about this instance.

It seems Mat has gone ban happy lately with accounts AND avatars.

You are completely right about about it being a privately owned forum. They can obviously do what they want to.
But lately I'm beginning to wonder why these decisions are made while some of the biggest trolls get off without any 'punishment'.

As for the Osama avatar. Yeah, it could be offensive to some people.

But not to me. It's a picture.. that's all. The picture didn't kill lots of people.

For me, silly things like avatars (no matter what they are) aren't something I can get offended about. If I really thought Freakin loved Bin Laden, it would be a different story.

*NOTE*
I'm offended by things people say and do on this forum, just like anyone else. But those thoughts don't lead me to say, "Lets get rid of this person."
Old 02-11-2005, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
2+2 owns the board and can do what they like. None of us has a natural "right" to be here. But I'm not sure why anyone cares what his avatar is, or why it would be offensive. I seriously doubt he was advocating anyone follow Osama.

It seems the new trend is not to heed the views of the majority here. Instead the mods have taken the tact that if 50 people like an avatar, but one complains then it should come down. The problem is, you con find someone that finds almost anything offensive. People here just need a thicker skin. It's gotten ridiculous.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
. The problem is, you con find someone that finds almost anything offensive. People here just need a thicker skin. It's gotten ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's weird when I find myself totally agreeing with jake.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2005, 05:29 PM

Ya know ... I'm about as liberal as they come. All for free speech, yada yada yada. But I was at the WTC on 9/11. And I didn't like the avatar. What I really wondered was why someone would choose it. Is it supposed to be funny? I don't think I see the humor. What is it supposed to say about "freakin"?

I really would have preferred that "the masses" would have told "freakin" that the avatar sucked. But then again, I didn't say anything either.

I'm all for bad taste and against "the man" telling us what we can and can't say (I know, this is a private forum blah blah blah). But that avatar (without an explanation) ... I just didn't get it and don't have a problem with its disappearance.

One last thing: there is a whole lot in avatars that may be offensive to one person that's not offensive to someone else. But the guy killed 3000 people -- Americans -- my neighbors and my friends. That's offensive to everyone, no? So please excuse me when my usual thick skin doesn't respond all that well to the picture. I'm sorry, I just don't get the use of the avatar.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But I'm not sure why anyone cares what his avatar is, or why it would be offensive. I seriously doubt he was advocating anyone follow Osama.

[/ QUOTE ]

Symbols are important to people. That's why they put flags on their front porches or wear t-shirts of their favortie sports team. It's part of the way we communicate our thoughts and feelings.

Symbols aren't just pictures or pieces of cloth. They represent broader beliefs. And, in the case of Osama's picture, they represent support for his actions and ideology.

Stop pretending you don't understand.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:30 PM

I better change mine.

-Michael
Old 02-11-2005, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I better change mine.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean you are not Charles Manson?