Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2005, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Wow, it feels good to say \"Good play\"

I like the the line, too. Heard one in the same vein at a Party table the other day (directed at a fish berater) "don't throw rocks in the lake" and had to laugh [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].
Old 02-11-2005, 03:39 PM

the main reason that you shouldn't complain or berate other players is of course that it is rude.

your opponents have every right to play in any way they see fit. those are the rules of the game that you agreed to play.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the main reason that you shouldn't complain or berate other players is of course that it is rude.

your opponents have every right to play in any way they see fit. those are the rules of the game that you agreed to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly

It's so much more than not 'tapping the aquarium'. In fact, I think it's bad to even think of weak players as fish at all.

They are real people who are playing poker, hopefully for some enjoyment. If it gives them enjoyment to feel excitement calling all-ins with A8 because they saw a play like that on TV, then great for them. If they get lucky and win occasionally, that's also great for them.

In fact, it's great for both of us, because it keeps them in the game, and the enjoyment that they get ultimately provides me with enjoyment. I enjoy a more deep strategic side to the game, and I also enjoy a profit. I may even be entitled to a profit, as I have spent countless hours studying and preparing to play poker well.

The thing is, the profit I earn is not derived from suckers and fish, it is often derived from people who know exactly what they are paying for.

It's kinda like when you go into a movie theater and pay $5 for popcorn. We all know that the bag of popcorn is not worth $5 on it's own, but it keeps the theaters running and even keeps the owners, managers, and employees in a job. Now if some of those managers sit in a room and laugh about all the 'fish' and 'suckers' who pay that money, then good for them I guess, but I'm not one of those fish, because I know what my dollar is buying and though it seems steep and feels bad from time to time, in the end it's something I'm ok with doing.

The real fish, in my mind, are the people who do not know what they are paying for... And in that respect, I'd bet there are more 'fish' who read and post on these forums, than there are who do not.

I respect all my opponents, especially the really weak ones.

Regards
Brad S
Old 02-11-2005, 06:04 PM

Very good post. I have found one truism in poker.

The worst players are the hardest to play against.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:33 PM

I wish there was someway to tell other players not to tap on the glass during a game without tapping on the glass yourself.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:37 PM

I just tell the berater to STFU with no mention of fish or aquariums [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2005, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wish there was someway to tell other players not to tap on the glass during a game without tapping on the glass yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just tell them that unless they were all-county back in '95, they have no business talking smack about anybody. Not only will fellow 2+2ers appreciate this but the person will now start to taunt you. You can promptly and easily either ignore or 'disable chat' or whatever.

Yugoslav
Old 02-12-2005, 12:52 AM

Great Post

The analysis of 'weaker' players you put forward is one reason I put Psychology of Poker very high on my must read list.

Honestly, I've probably pulled more fundamental changes to my game and approach than from any other book except possibly Theory of Poker.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:45 AM

"don't throw rocks in the lake"

That line is going in my Repertoire
Old 02-12-2005, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"don't throw rocks in the lake"

That line is going in my Repertoire

[/ QUOTE ]

Best one I've heard yet.