Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2005, 08:02 PM

Default Re: Winning player can\'t get AA right?

Raise more preflop. Stop underbetting. Don't make that terrible call with top set on a one-card straight board.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:06 PM

I don't. Check my win percentage at show down. I have recently read a 2+2 thread where they thought that a high win percentage at showdown means you might not be calling enough. This seems to be AA specific. Maybe I should post this in the psychology forum...lol.

Edit: Sorry ofoto isn't working. Win percentage at showdown is over %50.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Agent if you routinely make river calls like that ...I suggest giving up poker. I hope you were drunk at the time.

If you guys are finding it hard to make money with AA you are probably(and in the case of the 2 hands posted certainly) playing them to slowly and getting far to greedy with the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Zaxx,
When I look back and review my session afterwards, I get really upset at some of these calls I made. I say "WHAT the hell was I thinking." I believe this is an experience problem more so than a knowledge one.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:02 PM

These two hands can be the reason why you are not up that much, since it is such a small sample. But on this second one you should bet on the flop. If villain has an ace he will call, if he has a set you are golden, and if he has a mid pair he is either going to call on the flop or not going to call on the turn either, so there is no point in waiting. And there are two gutshot straight draws which will bust your whole stack, so you can't let them draw for free. Then on the turn, you definitely can't bet so small now that there is a flush draw on the board. You aren't likely to fold such a strong hand even if the flush hits, so you have to bet more to cut down on the implied odds of a flush draw here.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:07 PM

Stop underbetting the pot.

Edit: I am so far behind schedule it is ridiculous.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:03 PM

A couple thoughts/ideas:

Do you make a standard raise with it or do you try to get tricky PF so you don't lose players and only pick up the blinds?

Look at individual losing hands for it and see what went wrong with them.

Same as #1 only post-flop.

The thing about AA hands are they are just a lonely pair and you have to keep that in mind and be able to lay them down with strong resistance.

I am sure you know a lot of these things but since you put the question out there I thought I would go with it. Good luck on making AA not a leak for you. Also, 3200 hands isn't a very large sample, as one bad beat (set of Aces vs. ???) can greatly distort the situation. For example, my winningest hand in my PT database (~4K hands) since starting over due to crashed HD is T8s. I have picked up two huge pots with it and yet I know it is not my best hand or anything. Just keep this in mind.

Take care and best wishes,
ToT
Old 02-10-2005, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A couple thoughts/ideas:
Do you make a standard raise with it or do you try to get tricky PF so you don't lose players and only pick up the blinds?

[/ QUOTE ]
I tend to mix it up somewhere between 3-5 times BB depending on who is left after me and what has happened before me. If there is a raise and a re-raise then I bet big, about the pot plus some depending on my position. Though I do tend to want callers and might slowplay to much at a tight table to get some callers. I guess I'm looking to "hit the home run" every time I'm at bat with AA when it might be best for me to take the double or single...lol
Old 02-10-2005, 08:22 PM

Low sets should be your money hand where you try to hit the home run. AA should be a hand where you take a decent pot off of someone overplaying AK. Just value bet the heck out of those things.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Low sets should be your money hand where you try to hit the home run. AA should be a hand where you take a decent pot off of someone overplaying AK. Just value bet the heck out of those things.

[/ QUOTE ]
That makes a lot of sense. "Just value bet the heck out of those things" sounds like good advice.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:35 PM

AA makes a lot of money two ways: set over set and getting it in preflop. Your opponents are simply not going to get a lot of money in post flop with a hand that is worse than one pair. So stop slowplaying AA. If you aren't getting action, then play other hands faster, don't play your premium hands slower.