Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2005, 01:33 PM

Default Re: FULL TIME SNG\'s

$400 a week is pretty doable even you play $10+1. 1k per week should be achievable if you play full time.

Having said that I don't think I will live well with that. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2005, 02:02 PM

I understand that $400 a week isn't very much, I was just saying thats what I would need to get by. Anything less than that I would end up maxing out my visa [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
My opinion on this topic is pretty simple. If you have to ask, then you shouldn't do it. Those who know that it will work, are not asking, "hey, do you think I can make xxxx.... playing SnGs full time?"

If you're making $3,000 a month playing SnGs consistently for the last 6 months, I doubt you'd be asking this forum if it's the right idea, you'd already know. And, since this is the type of confidence you'd need to know for sure, if quitting is appropriate, then you now know what your next 6 month goal is.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this is the best advice anyone could have given me.
Thanks scuba. Scince I started using the super spreadsheet I've played 93 10+1's and my ITM=36.6% ROI=4.6% , for 20's I've played 19 ITM=57.9% ROI=101% overall my return on investment is 32.5% after 1440 invested. I think I'm going to try and play about 150-200 sngs' a month for the next few months and see how I'm doing after that and then make my decision.
Once I have a bankroll of say 10,000+ and I can dip in for emergencies I wont have to worry about much... and hey if I cant get my bankroll that high I guess I'll have to find a real job [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

No one has told me If they do this as there only source of income or if it is just a hobbie ?
Old 02-10-2005, 02:16 PM

I guess this is my job now (been playing for 1.5 months lol). My sports bankroll took a big hit so while that's slowly replenishing itself I'm hoping to make some money off poker.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand that $400 a week isn't very much, I was just saying thats what I would need to get by. Anything less than that I would end up maxing out my visa [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
My opinion on this topic is pretty simple. If you have to ask, then you shouldn't do it. Those who know that it will work, are not asking, "hey, do you think I can make xxxx.... playing SnGs full time?"

If you're making $3,000 a month playing SnGs consistently for the last 6 months, I doubt you'd be asking this forum if it's the right idea, you'd already know. And, since this is the type of confidence you'd need to know for sure, if quitting is appropriate, then you now know what your next 6 month goal is.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this is the best advice anyone could have given me.
Thanks scuba. Scince I started using the super spreadsheet I've played 93 10+1's and my ITM=36.6% ROI=4.6% , for 20's I've played 19 ITM=57.9% ROI=101% overall my return on investment is 32.5% after 1440 invested. I think I'm going to try and play about 150-200 sngs' a month for the next few months and see how I'm doing after that and then make my decision.
Once I have a bankroll of say 10,000+ and I can dip in for emergencies I wont have to worry about much... and hey if I cant get my bankroll that high I guess I'll have to find a real job [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

No one has told me If they do this as there only source of income or if it is just a hobbie ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Scuba Chuck did make a very good point as lots of 2+2ers still keep their day jobs while making decent money playing poker. There are 3 stages I see:

stage 1. you start to making money in poker and wondering if you should quit job.

stage 2. you are comfortably making some money and still keep day job for security purpose. After all the game during day is not that attractive.

stage 3. at one point you start to think your daily job costs you money because your hourly rate from poker is much much higher than your regular job.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:21 PM

I play poker full time, and play only sng's sometimes. Anything get's boring, so I move around between limit, NL and sng's with some multies now and then. For example, last year I played mostly sng's Jan to April, than played mostly limit, full and 6 max, till December. Last couple months has been sng's again almost entirely. This last week I've started playing a few multies everyday.

Basically if your good at poker you can make money whatever the game.

Steve
Old 02-10-2005, 02:35 PM

If you really want to try then good luck. I play as a hobby and have been averaging about $750/month. This is playing a few hours a day here and there with a mix of SNGs and MTT. I can't imagine making enough to quit my job - but I have a house, kids and a career. If I was 21... that is a different story.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:01 PM

If your 21 I think its even more reason not to play full time. If you quit working, you lose valuable work experience that can help you get a better higher paying job later.

Imagine this...after 2 years of playing professionally, you decide poker is boring, or you move up in limits before your ready and lose a big chunk of $$$, or for whatever reason you decide you don't want to play any more. How are you going to explain that huge gap in between jobs. Most places when looking for entry level candidates would not consider poker an attractive addition to your work experience section of your resume.

The only time I would consider it (unless your absolutely sure you have a better future in poker than in a real job) is as an alternative to a part time job that would add nothing to a long term career. (i.e. you may want to play poker instead of working at McDonalds, but shouldn't give up a paying internship).
Old 02-10-2005, 03:04 PM

I do it for a living. It's quite possible to make upwards of 500 dollars a week playing the 20's ON AVERAGE, provided that you:
a. Are a winning player who can sustain a 20%+ ROI, while 4 tabling.
b. Are responsible enough to play 20-25 tourneys per day, without taking more than two days off per week.
c. Have a large enough bankroll to handle the inevitable swings that come with playing poker for a living. For the 20's I think $700 is sufficient although $1,000 would be ideal.
d. Have a reliable safety net in place to fall back on, in case the poker thing doesn't work out. You have to have some kind of financial back up, preferrably a few months of living expenses in the bank.
e. Are mature enough to deal with the psychological strain of variance. There is no steady paycheck, there will be downswings. You will have weeks where you lose money. If you allow bad beats to lead to bad play on a regular basis, you may not go broke, but you will not make enough money to live by. Focus is the absolute key.

As for whether or not you should quit your job... only you can answer that. I'd say that if you really don't like your job, and you stand to make more money playing poker, then it's worth considering. But I advise you to take it slowly. Try working part time while playing poker to start out, and see if it works. Above all, make sure you're financially secure before making the jump. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Steve
Old 02-10-2005, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my only source of income. I play 90% sng's and mix in some low limit for bonus whoring and as a diversion. At 20% ROI in the 55's, I make $11 per tourney or roughly $44/hr. That is about the hourly wage I gave up last summer to start this, so it can surely be done. My only problem of late has been that I'm not getting 40 hours a week in because it does wear you down playing just sng after sng.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:26 PM

If your 21 I think its even more reason not to play full time. If you quit working, you lose valuable work experience that can help you get a better higher paying job later

I have made similar comments to the FourAces a while back. Frankly, your age should play a large part in this decision. If you're 55 and hoping to retire early, and can live off of $2000 a month, then great go for it. But if you're 28, I can't image being comfortable making a major career change to professional poker player without being able to make at least $10,000 a month. Life is expensive, and you're giving up valuable time to develop skills in a real job. Another interesting point is that for those who do have those skills to make that much per month, probably have the capabilities and aptitudes necessary to earn a higher income paying career. I think they go hand in hand.

My point is, if you don't like your job, find a new one. If you're looking for income through your poker hobby (like me) find a new job that will accomodate optimum poker playing hours.