Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2005, 06:17 AM

Default Re: Battle of the blinds with JTo

[ QUOTE ]
Speaking of set, this is where a pf raise would have helped you out

[/ QUOTE ]

i see now that the root of all my problems came from not raising preflop.

results: bb had 78s (clubs) for the turned straight and freerolled-river flush. what a great hand to cap on the flop. he must have read the deception section in ToP!

thank you everybody for your responses. my next posts plan on continuing on this area in shorthanded games where i am in the big blind and the SB raises me and i chose to defend as well as where i am on the button and decide to nab the blinds. these situations obviously occur much more frequently in the 6 max games than in the full ring games and i think i am losing money twice every orbit by either passing on certain situations or just giving up.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:55 PM

Preflop, raise is much better than calling.

Flop: Bet call a raise. Board is pretty uncordinated, and his flop stats seem to point to he has a hand.

Turn: bet with the intention of three betting. Call a cap.

River: Bet, call a raise.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:03 PM

I actually don't mind the preflop complete. If the BB is loose and passive, I just complete this and hope to catch a piece of the flop so I can value bet away. I hate raising this preflop against players that will always call my preflop raise and a flop bet. I'm not sure if Villian falls into that category, but if he does then I like your play.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:09 PM

I raise preflop.

After he caps me on the flop and 3-bets me on the turn I slow down, figuring I'm behind to a set. Turns out he didn't have a set and was just being creative on the flop, of course -- point is that with flop aggression of 0.80 and turn aggression of 1.0 I don't think top two pair is good 50%+ of the time after the flop cap and turn 3-bet.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:09 PM

is the strategy of calling a raise on the flop to show strength later or more so because: [ QUOTE ]
has a hand

[/ QUOTE ] ?
Old 02-10-2005, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate raising this preflop against players that will always call my preflop raise and a flop bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

dont i want players just fishing for more automatically out of disbelief? or are you saying that this type of villain makes this steal difficult because i will have to be betting blindy if i whiff hoping for a fold? since JTo is surely better than two randoms, i feel convinced from the responses that i should raise this preflop despite my villain being fishy.