Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2005, 11:33 AM

Default Re: AQ and a coordinated flop

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you decide you are going to play this hand against this type of opponent, I sometimes like this line:

preflop - fine
flop - raise
bet the turn, fold to a turn check-raise, and check the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have come to hate taking the free showdown line in 6max because I seem to always get check-raised on the turn. Are you sure it's a good idea? Could you explain why? The opponent here is LAG preflop and for all I know could be LAG postflop, so I'd hate to get pushed off the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thought process is, if you get check-raised here, you're far enough behind that you're not interested in a showdown, so you get away for 2 BBs total (1 on the turn, 2 SBs on the flop). If he just calls (or folds!), you get a free showdown by checking behind.

Compare this to your line, which requires 2.5 BBs with no folding equity. In addition, if you aren't aggressive with weak hands, you won't get paid off with a big hand as often.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:41 AM

Default Re: AQ and a coordinated flop

[ QUOTE ]
The thought process is, if you get check-raised here, you're far enough behind that you're not interested in a showdown, so you get away for 2 BBs total (1 on the turn, 2 SBs on the flop). If he just calls (or folds!), you get a free showdown by checking behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

But the opponent is loose and aggressive. What if he checkraises me with a worse hand? Am I using reads wrong?