Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2005, 06:32 PM

Default Re: 5/10NL vs. known professional

From my experience in this game your play could be pretty dependant on who you are up against. If you are up against wolfe I would call and expect to win 50%-60% of the time or so. If you are up against rafe or dag I think your winning percentage drops, they dont have as agressive a river game in my opinion. Raising the turn more wouldn't hurt either.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:44 PM

I mustve had a brain cramp. I forgot you had a set. So obviously you beat alot of the hands I was referring to.

I still wonder why you would make the flop call based on the thinking that he had a flush draw, but then still want to call when the flush hits.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:47 PM

I think calling the flop bet is fine....what makes things more compliate is that i had the second nut with my set of 99 on the turn. THE FLUSH WAS NOT OUT THERE YET ICEMAN

The only hand i was behind to was a set of Kings (which i wasnt worried about). I raised him enough where he didnt have the odds to call....i believe he thought that if he hit his flush, i wouldnt be able to release my hand no matter his river bet, thus giving him implied odds to call in hopes of hitting his card and getting paid.

when the 3rd club fell i thought he made his hand and the size of his bet seemed very suspicious to me. i never showed down a draw hand to him that i hit where i played it like this....i knew that he knew i was not on a draw and that he made me for at least two pair.

this pro is cautious in betting into me like that when i show strength. he views me as a solid aggressive player who can not only bluff with nothing but also willing to call off my stack with middle pair if i think i am ahead

7 of 10 times I pop this up preflop however i had been running well and getting paid off. i didnt want to reveal the strength of my hand preflop so if i did hit a set i would get my stack in. unfortunately for me i did hit and saw the worst card possible on the river

i want to thank those for their insights so far and would like to here more peoples opinions....at least the people who are thinking players who have as good a grasp on the game as i do
Old 02-10-2005, 07:00 PM

I called the flop bet because I knew he was on the draw and that I could outplay him if i called and he didnt hit. lots of good players do this all the time rather than raise.....why play a big pot with middle pair? this is what raising accomplishes

i turned my 2nd nut set (which was 100% the best hand at the time). this made the hand interesting. he led out and i raised (of course) a little more than enough to get him to fold the draw. but at this point he knew i had a fantastic hand reraising after he led out. if he reraised me i am definately 100% of the time going all in when there is no str8 or flush out there....he knew this IMO
Old 02-10-2005, 07:04 PM

I realize that the flush was not out there yet when the turn card came. If I was still in the hand at that point, I would raise too. But your original post asks what your move is when the river card completes the flush draw and the villian bets into you.

You said that you called his flop bet because you thought he was on the flush draw. If thats what you put him on, then you have to fold to his river bet dont you?

Or are you saying that since he called your turn raise without proper flush draw odds, that you no longer think thats what he has?

I mean, you could be right? He could have a king and/or have 2 pair, but if thats the case, then you shouldnt have called the flop bet because you only had 2 outs.

Thats what I mean when I said it looks like you are selectively changing your read based on what you want him to have instead of what you really THINK he has.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:06 PM

Agreed, but now that the flush card hits the river, dont you have to fold based on your read?

So what happened?
Old 02-10-2005, 07:11 PM

iceman i really dont like your logic, your saying the player put the villian on the flush draw so should automatically fold when the flush comes? this might make sense in an empty pot, but there is enough money in here and he has a strong enough hand that he can call expecting to lose, i dont think its an easy call, but i think its one that should be made even reading your opponent for usually having the flush.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:27 PM

This really seems like a blocker bet to me, I'd consider min-raising if you think there's a chance he'll call with a lower set. If you read him for an KcXc type hand, then you should fold.

I'd at least call here and never fold BTW against this player. I'm also assuming you raised $300 more on the turn and not to $300.

I'll post more on my thinking if I have time later...
Old 02-10-2005, 07:31 PM

I do not want to post the results or what action i took on the river yet. I think this hand is one of the more interesting that i have played.

I will say that I would not have raised this river...if he reraises me i am definately behind and definately have to call considering 75% of my stack is in there. I thought my two options were either fold or call.

if i had a deeper stack this is an easy call for me. the stack size always comes into play when i make a decision
Old 02-10-2005, 07:44 PM

You talked about outplaying him if the flush card didnt hit. Were you going to raise the turn even if a 9 didnt come, providing it wasnt a club?

By the way, do you mind saying who the known professional is?