Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2005, 08:37 PM

Default Re: What site boasts the weakest limit players?

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By far, the party skins (empire, pokernow etc etc) are considered to have the weakest players around.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They are? I've never heard anyone seriously claim that the party players are worse than the pacific players. But I haven't played on pacific. You really think that party is weaker?

[/ QUOTE ]

They both suck really really bad.

There's just way more of them on Party.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No site is going to boast that its own players are weak.

That's sort of like a bar advertising "We have the sluttiest women." While this may be true and is very good news for the men (sharks), the women (fish) are not going to patronize a place where they are associated as such.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes absolutely no sense - and by that, I mean you are incorrect in your reasoning.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can you explain why you dislike his reasoning? I thought it made perfect sense. A site would never boast about having the fishiest players because--even though most people want to play against bad players and thus will be attracted to a site that claims to be full of fish--it requires the site to insult its clientelle and calling your customers idiots (or sluts) is usually not good for business. His main mistake, I think, was in assuming that the title of the post was asking for sites that literally boast about having the weakest players, rather than merely meaning which sites have the weakest players, which I think is what the questioner intended.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:05 PM

Pacific is god-awful. Planet is usually horrid also. I cleared a bonus there a few weeks back and built a $112 pot in 1/2. Some people calling that down with middle pair and ace high. Yeah. They were pretty clueless. Pacific is a safe bet though since it's bigger.

Also on the comments about sites not advertising their players as weak. If you watch the Party Poker TV commercials, there's a subtle remark about that. The ending line is "Party Poker dot com...the world's largest poker school". Now...I'm not sure if that's INTENDED to mean school as the poker player would see it, but I found it interesting and funny nonetheless.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's sort of like a bar advertising "We have the sluttiest women."

[/ QUOTE ]

You say that like it's a bad thing.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:17 PM

Sure, I will explain my reasoning.

First, let me agree with you that it would not be good for a site to "insult" its clients.

Think of it this way, though:

If a site were known to have a tremendous amount of "great" and "skilled" players, would you want to play there? Would you pick the "skilled" site over one that was known to host very poor players?

More importantly, which site do you think the vast majority of the public will pick?

It would not make sense for anyone to choose to play at a table where they would be surrounded by better players, and surely lose their money.

On a related topic, even if a site "adverstises" that they host the poorest players, most of the poker players who play at that site would assume they are not, themselves, these "poor players" anyway, as most poker players overestimate their ability. In effect, the site really wouldn't be 'insulting' anyone.

Just my thoughts...

Adam
Old 02-09-2005, 11:19 PM

Women know they are women but fish think they are sharks. So it pays for a site to boast it has a lot of fish. It attracts more fish who fancy themselves sharks.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:59 AM

Just for clarification------I didn't mean that a site would boast it has weak players-----I meant "which site has the weakest players"-----poor use of the word "boasts" on my part-----it's that fancy language I learned in school
Old 02-10-2005, 12:22 PM

I'm annoyed because in clearing my Empire bonus I just played on a tbale with terrible players and lost loads by folding cleverly at the river when I was (not) beat.

I have KT

UTG limps, I raise in CO, SB and BB and UTG call.

Flop comes 38T rainbow

SB bets, BB calls, UTG calls, I raise, they all call.

Turn comes Q

SB checks, BB bets, UTG calls, I call, SB folds

River comes J

BB bets, UTG raises, I fold, BB calls.

BB has A8, UTG has T7 and takes it down...... [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Edit: on this basis come to Empire, you can have my chips
Old 02-10-2005, 02:38 PM

First, let me say that I did focus on the word "boasts". That being said...if I'm a new player, I may join a site that says they have the "loosest games" or the "most action", but I would not want to play somewhere that said "Our players our weak."

However, if you ever find a bar with as many slutty women as there are poker fish, sign me up!
Old 02-10-2005, 02:47 PM

The funny thing about this whole discussion would be that I'll bet most of the "fish" don't see themselves like that.