Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2005, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Thought Smart Play at First, Now Don\'t

[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) converter

SB (t1545)
Hero (t1146)
UTG (t2521)
Button (t2788)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t400</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t2788 (All-In)</font>

UTG and Button had been going at it constantly. I'd put them in the loose/aggressive category.

...?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that this is an easy call. If they're LAGs, your hand is even stronger than it looks. Players will often miniraise b/c they're being successful in stealing the blinds with a miniraise, and they can fold if there's action. I'm more than willing to call button's all-in here, and I think UTG will fold pretty often.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:36 PM

Thanks for all the replies.

My thought at the time(I should actually try thinking BEFORE I act) was to let the two of them battle this hand. My guess at the hands were a mid pair and either a better pair or two big cards. I never thought UTG was going to fold.

The results, which sickened me and caused this thread, are below:

<font color="white">Hero folds.
UTF waits 30 seconds and folds.
Villan turns over AQ.
I vomit.
</font>
Old 02-10-2005, 08:57 PM

Button's push smells like a steal, here, especially if those two guys have been duking it out. If UTG has a habit of minraising, I'd call. I doubt UTG will call with two all-ins, and if they are loose as you describe, you've got a fine chance of having one or both of them dominated.

If this is the first time UTG has min-raised, you might reconsider, but I'm still not sure I'd fold.

You're on the bubble with only 5 BBs against loose players. Your FE will probably be lower than you'd like. This is probably the best opportunity you'll get.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:28 PM

I'd probably call here. If the intitial raise was a push or pot-commiting, then i'd fold, but I wouldn't be thrilled about it. Your call will just as often cause the UTG to fold as call, if not moreso to folding. All this combined with the fact that you only have T946 after the hand say call here.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Button's push smells like a steal, here, especially if those two guys have been duking it out. If UTG has a habit of minraising, I'd call. I doubt UTG will call with two all-ins, and if they are loose as you describe, you've got a fine chance of having one or both of them dominated.

If this is the first time UTG has min-raised, you might reconsider, but I'm still not sure I'd fold.

You're on the bubble with only 5 BBs against loose players. Your FE will probably be lower than you'd like. This is probably the best opportunity you'll get.

[/ QUOTE ]

Figuring out what the miniraise means is critical. If he has been pushing/3x raising everything, the call is a lot easier to make. If this is the very first time he has done this, I think AA-QQ are real possibilities and think about folding.

If UTG was not in the hand, would anyone here even consider not calling? I never make that fold but I am not sure if that is the right play. My thought has been a coinflip at worst to double up is better than trying to pull off 2 or 3 steals with weak holdings...
Old 02-11-2005, 10:48 AM

I'd call. 5bb left, I cannot ever imagine folding AK. You have to realised that the range of hands people play 4 handed is much much different than Level 1. Even at level 1 I would call all in w AK 5 bb left.

If button actually has AA or KK, he might consider a smaller raise or flat call to induce more action. I think you are at least coin flip against him. With that huge overlay, I don't fold.