Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2005, 02:57 PM

Default Re: Jacks are so tough to play--Stars rebuy

[ QUOTE ]
Call. If you flop a set, break him. If you feel he still has you covered, you can fold. If an ace pops up and he treats it like a scare card, push and he'll fold his qq/kk unless he's an idiot.

The raise to me looks like an isolation raise, and it's quite possible that he just has some broadway cards, maybe AK or AQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

This very well could be an isolation bet, but there are several problems with putting in the additaional $10800 here.

First off, you are not closing the betting round by calling, there is still a player to act after you. MP raised the BB 3x, so you can't simply discount his hand. If he does have a strong hand he could likely come over the top of the SB re-raise (then what would you do with the JJ).

Also, the JJ at this point are either a slight favorite (55:45) or a big dog to AA, KK, QQ. So you are risking 1/3 of your stack, if not all of it by the end of the hand, with a very marginal hand (given the betting up to this point).

Another concideration. Let's assume that there is no re-raise by MP pre-flop. There is an 8:1 chance that a J will flop, which doesn't justify the call. And if a A comes on the flop and SB checks, that doesn't give the green light to push here. You still have MP to contend with, and SB could be trapping (although very unlikely).

So all in all, this is a bad place to play JJ IMO.

Pulp [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are facing a bet, call, reraise. You are out of position unless MP fold. Best case scenario the SB has AK and where it is a coinflip. Granted you are getting the pot odds for this call, but it is very possible MP can reraise, then what do you do?

I would fold and pick a better spot to risk my larger than average stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had not read you reply prior to posting my response. I was not trying to mimic your post.

Pulp [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2005, 03:07 PM

He is risking a large %age of his stack for this isolation isn't he? Maybe if the initial raiser has been doing a lot of raising (with the ability to fold to a reraise) would I make this a consideration. It still doesn't mean you have a good enough hand to risk playing.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:55 PM

Haven't checked other replies but my gut says 'fold.'

First off how can you not be worried about the original raiser? Even if he was out of the picture, you've still got the SB asking you to put in 20% of your stack in preflop with a hand that is notoriously big trouble.

Also, if it's me in the SB, I'm pushing in on almost every flop, even flops I missed with AK (etc). So your best hope of winning this pot is hitting a jack or reraising preflop and praying that everyone folds. Since the SB has shown strentgh--a lot--out of position, and since this is an $11 rebuy, there is almost no chance of him folding.

The thing to do here is fold and watch in total frustration as 33 and AQ battle it out

Shane
Old 02-09-2005, 05:03 PM

Um--he doesn't?

I wouldn't be isolating anyone out of position for 1/3rd of my stack without a hand that I'm not willing to take to the felt....In other words, you are presented with two choices: The SB is a moron who is raising out of position with a hand like AQ (best case scenario and you are 50/50) or Jacks are in serious shape.

Shane
Old 02-09-2005, 08:09 PM

I just got too aggressive here as I often do and I put the SB all-in. The original raiser folded as expected and the SB took some time and then called w/ AK and flopped me dead.

So that kinda sucked.

Thanks for the responses.