Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2005, 05:05 AM

Default Re: Asking to see mucked hands

Can anyone ask to see your hand, or is there some sort of qualifier (i.e. going to showdown with you or seeing the flop)?

Scott
Old 02-08-2005, 05:21 AM

As far as I know, the standard rule is that any player at the table can ask to see any hand that gets to showdown. So if I call a river bet and can't beat what the bettor shows me (as the last aggressor he's obligated to show first ), anyone at the table can still ask to see my hand if they want.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:07 AM

Echoing the others, just deal with it. I used to get frustrated by this because of its lameness and I would do things like throw my cards in the muck pile. Now, when somebody asks, I just flip them face up and get ready to play the next hand.

Seriously, half of the time 90% of the players can't make heads or tails of what or how you're playing anyways.

-Michael
Old 02-08-2005, 06:10 AM

Its annoying but generally if people know the game well enough, they know not to abuse the rule. Therefore, if they ask for info, you know they more likely suck than not [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2005, 06:19 AM

"5. Any player who has been dealt in may request to see any hand that has been called, even if the opponent's hand or the winning hand has been mucked. However, this is a privilege that may be revoked if abused. If a player other than the pot winner asks to see a hand that has been folded, that hand is dead. If the winning player asks to see a losing player’s hand, both hands are live, and the best hand wins."
-ciaffone
Old 02-08-2005, 06:41 AM

Pretty funny avatar.

And BTW on topic, at my local cardroom they started ruling that someone can only ask to see a hand once or twice before it's obvious they're abusing the rule. Or at least, I heard the floor imply that.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:56 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
We all agree that asking to see hands is bad etiquette and people who do it are jerks, but that doesn't mean that it's okay to essentially accuse these people of cheating or violating the rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's also bad etiquette to hold up a game, calling the floor, to resolve this stupid issue. There's much better things to put your time and effort into.

b
Old 02-08-2005, 11:17 AM

i've stopped making a stink unless i'm deep in an nl game, when information is so much more valueable and harder for me to adjust to.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:14 PM

It used to bother me when people asked to see my not-quite-mucked hands at SD. Then I got into some Zen lit and took some effort to eliminate things that caused emotion from my game. This was one of them. I table my cards if they're still within reach, or let the dealer do it if I've already released, and I do it without caring. There seem to be a lot of otherwise good players on this board who let this particular thing get to them and allow themselves to get upset by it or "feel" in some way. Don't.

GoT
Old 02-08-2005, 12:23 PM

Bing.

This used to irritate the hell out of me. Now, I certainly try to muck the cards before anyone can ask (or if they do, muck them anyway) as the last step of hand protection. But if the dealer shows them, I consider the information revealed to the table, evaluate how individual players might use it (if they can) and adjust accordingly.