Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2005, 02:47 PM

Default Re: Lame preflop question

Man,

I must be weak tight, because I'm still only playing for a half bet here.

Even if the BB is solid, his calling standards out of the BB are still going to be a bit wider, and I hate my position on the solid player.

Out of position I probably get in cheaply, then probably use my reads on the players to get bets postflop.

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Then I like the raise.

then I would raise.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:48 PM

What does OOP stand for?
Old 02-07-2005, 02:50 PM

I agree you don't want to play bad position against the BB, so a raise will more than likely get him to fold. How much do you think he is lowering his standards on the BB. How low do you go?
Old 02-07-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What does OOP stand for?

[/ QUOTE ]
Out of position.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Man,

I must be weak tight, because I'm still only playing for a half bet here.

Even if the BB is solid, his calling standards out of the BB are still going to be a bit wider, and I hate my position on the solid player.

Out of position I probably get in cheaply, then probably use my reads on the players to get bets postflop.

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

How low do you think he's dropping his calling standards against an SB openraise from a known TAG? We've played a lot together (at 2+2 tables and elsewhere), so he knows me well. While he has position on me, he also has really bad relative position on me against the rest of the field, so how low do you think he's going with suited crap and such?

Rob
Old 02-07-2005, 03:15 PM

Shouldn't he loosen up a bit getting 7-to-1, knowing that you are likely going to bet the flop for him, and he has the option of raising to force the limpers to face two? Given that he knows he might be able to get you to lay down an unimproved hand on the turn with a follow up bet, he's not in a horrible spot.

Also, what about the benefit of limping in with KJ, in the hopes that he gets trapped with a Kx or Jx hand that flops top pair, a hand he might fold to your raise? (He's likely to play a fair number of hands to your raise, but correctly get rid of dominated hands.)

I think raising KJo here is the right default play, but it's probably close enough that it's an opportunity to mix up your play if you think there might be some value in doing so. Given that you have this tough opponent acting behind you for a while to come, this could very realistically be such a situation.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:07 PM

I like it. Whether it's right or wrong I would still respect your raise here because of your position and the number of limpers in front of you. Because of that I'm probably going to fold hands that I believe to be potentially dominated, but are in fact crushing you, (like AT or QK), and it's going to take a legitimate 3-betting hand for me to 3-bet you.

I would probably call with a few suited broadways and any pair though. (Which is probably good for you because you'll have a lot of those beaten - QJs, JTs, etc., and if you don't have them beaten you'll probably know it because I would 3-bet any better suited hands.) But probably wouldn't go too much lower because of my crappy relative position.

If you were on the button, or if there were only one (or none) limpers, it would be a different story because it would be easier to be seen as an isolation attempt.

I'm going to give you credit for a hand if you're raising multiple limpers, (even though they're bad), out the small blind. (At least until I see you show down KJ.)
Old 02-07-2005, 04:24 PM

Hey Entity I think this is a good raise to make.