Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2005, 03:34 PM

Default Re: 5/5 at Ocean\'s -- I play bad

[ QUOTE ]
Diablo: It's about a pot-sized reraise with the AA. Looks good to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

while he's deciding, I show him my AA
Old 02-07-2005, 04:20 PM

No, actually he had me covered by about $60.

Everybody folded to him. It was a moment where I was happy if he folded and I took the pot there. I was feeling charitable. It was very early in my planned session and I didn't feel like getting broke so soon. I didn't want to bust him either, not that we are friends, but I know how he plays and he's great to have in a game and to use to play off of other players. He was by far the LAG'est at the table and I root for him whenever I'm not involved in the pot. At the time, the max buy-in for the $5 and $5 game at O'11 was $300, now it's $500.

There are many reasons why I did it. It's not correct though, but from time to time somethings are more important then one pot or busting one player, and I felt that this was one of them. As it where, he still called "cuz I felt lucky", and flopped a set of Tens and beat me.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:23 PM

I'd like to hear a list of the many reasons why you did it. Showing your AA I mean.

I cant imagine any of them being logical. Not wanting to go bust because its early in the session surely isnt.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:41 PM

Jesus.

Pretty bad.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:46 PM

I really don't understand the way you played this hand. It just sounds like it's your mission to out-LAG all the LAGs. Not a good strategy for a short stack.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:49 PM

Havn't you ever falling prey to your inner wimp before?
Old 02-07-2005, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Havn't you ever falling prey to your inner wimp before?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a perfectly valid reason. But it probably means you'd be better off playing at slightly lower stakes. You'll do better if you're playing a game where you can make the most +EV move without sweating the amounts at risk.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:15 PM

shucks i would've mucked or raised bigger preflop, folded to his reraise and folded the flop, but given you minraised and called the huge reraise and really wanted to go all in i can categorically state that i dearly hope you were right. next i will write about checking sets twice, playing with one card face up, and that second pint in the friday 25-50 game.

i am trademarking "crazy monkey tilt" and will send you the first t-shirt. ;-)

matt
Old 02-07-2005, 07:24 PM

And thats perfectly valid criticism. I have some wierd hangups ... like 20-40's 4 chip 8 chip structure intimidates me while the $30-$60 3 chip 6 chip gives me warm fuzzies and allows me to play more comfortably.

I hate the $2-$3 $200 buy-in NL and love the $5 and $5 $500 buy-in NL. I get uptight with putting all my money in pre-flop despite having the best of it, yet put me on the turn with TPTK against an opponant I think I have beat and I'll move in on them with my whole stack, and I'll do so very comfortably.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I only play for small stakes online so take this for what it's worth. On one of Lederer's DVDs he demonstrates one of his favorite tells.

Someone in late position or in the blinds is not paying attention to the action and must be told by the dealer that it's his turn or the pot has been raised or something. If that player then raises he it NOT bluffing. Lederer goes on to say that this tell is nearly 100% reliable.

I never post on the mid-/high fourm but your description was a near match for Lederer's tell.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can assure you that this was not a fake tell the guy was trying to give off. He was disinterested in the hand, and I'm the only one he would have raised here, because he had me pegged as a complete rock. I'm a young kid who comes and buys in short, and then doesn't play a hand for a half hour.