Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2005, 10:25 AM

Default Re: Help me decide between UB and PS

For low buy-in tournaments, I have to vote for UB. Yes, the interface stinks (what on earth are you talking about Zaxx?), but the blinds and starting stacks just cannot be beat. Card dead for the first hour? No problem. You'll still have 30BB.

That said, I also maintain an account on Stars. It gives me additional options if I just feel like playing, and there isn't a game starting soon on UB. Also, I love the $3 rebuys to Sunday's $350k guarantee, especially on Saturday nights. (I don't usually play the big tournament, but they let you cash out your entry fee in tournament chips.) Once you figure these things out, your ROI should be very high.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For low buy-in tournaments, I have to vote for UB. Yes, the interface stinks (what on earth are you talking about Zaxx?), but the blinds and starting stacks just cannot be beat. Card dead for the first hour? No problem. You'll still have 30BB.

I will agree with the low buy in tourneys. Stars has more variety though as well. They have $5 2-table tourneys as UB I believe only has 1-tables SNG's. I play the $30 and $50 2-tables all the time, but I am almost positive they have $5 as well. They are the two best in my oppinion though, but my personal choice is Stars.
That said, I also maintain an account on Stars. It gives me additional options if I just feel like playing, and there isn't a game starting soon on UB. Also, I love the $3 rebuys to Sunday's $350k guarantee, especially on Saturday nights. (I don't usually play the big tournament, but they let you cash out your entry fee in tournament chips.) Once you figure these things out, your ROI should be very high.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-07-2005, 12:19 PM

Wow, I guess interfaces are like women each to his or her own....

I suspect it has alot to do with where you began playing. I just started playing ring games on PP didnt like the interface but after about 1000 hands hardly noticed anything except no bet pot option similiar to UB's.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just found out this review to help me with the final decision. UB it is. PokerStars will have to wait until I become a better player.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:11 PM

I think I see where we are getting confused.

What Tony and I are talking about (if I may speak for Tony) is the tournament interface, not the table interface. I like being able to track my overall position, and it is much easier to do so on Stars than UB. (Tony points out the slow refresh-rate at UB, which is a good example.) You can do it on UB, but is a much bigger pain in the butt.

Also, I'm not convinced that the level of play is THAT much higher at UB, though the Limp-rereaise with AA seems to be pretty standard there. Perhaps there are fewer idiots going all in pre-flop with ATo, but after the first hour, I think quality is pretty close.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:48 AM

I'm also gonna have to go with Ultimate Bet in your scenario. One key point that no one has mentioned yet is that you can buy-in to their multi's with Ultimate Points. I basically play in the multi's for free all the time just by sitting down at the UP tables and winning enough points to sign up, usually takes about a half hour.

I also believe that the multi's are easier there. I can't believe anyone would give UB play any type of credit at all for being classified good. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Personally I think most of them suck, especially within the first 2 hours of multis and at most SNG tables. They call with AceX all the time and play lower pockets like rockets consistently.

Seriously, if you're looking to start out, go with UB anyday. I admit the interface is crappy and I get really sick of it sometimes but they make up for it with UP's and guaranteed prize pools. I snuck into a $4000 gurnateed prize pool the other night with only 212 people registered. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2005, 03:16 AM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
I just found out this review to help me with the final decision. UB it is. PokerStars will have to wait until I become a better player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that review is a bit dated. 1) UB starts at 1500 chips now. 2) PS has many more than 400 for their low buy-ins, like 1200+.

Though I've had much more success at Stars, that's probably just variance. But just one good finish through those massive fields can make up for a lot of early busts.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps there are fewer idiots going all in pre-flop with ATo

[/ QUOTE ]

whaa, AT = not the nuts? [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]