Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2005, 09:38 PM

Default Re: My first complaint about Harrington on Hold \'em.

Ugh, another one of these kiss azz "The only thing wrong with my 2+2 book is that the binding is not holding up" posts.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:42 PM

Uh huh, ...well, I can see how you would spent alot of your time worrying about crap like that.

It's like, you know, SO important.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Uh huh, ...well, I can see how you would spent alot of your time worrying about crap like that.

It's like, you know, SO important.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, I can get back to poker because I addressed this issue.

Its cool bud, it is a great book..but keep in mind the pages don't turn as well if they are sticky...
Old 02-06-2005, 12:36 AM

OK. I'm sure you'd know more about that than me, but thanks for the advice.

By the way, can we end this now before you start describing how sticky pages and not laying books flat relate to each other?
Old 02-06-2005, 03:35 PM

get a scanner copy for personnal self and be happy!!!may your aces be cracked by me [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2005, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't spread the book flat on a table or crack the spine every time you open it and you solve this problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not solve this problem, but avoid this problem...

By the way, mine is falling appart as well. These 2+2 books should be ring-bound !
<font color="blue"> paulish </font>
Old 02-06-2005, 11:52 PM

I understand that a lot of people like to lay a book flat on the table or spread the spine. I'm just one of those types who would rather risk blindness than crack the spine of a book...).

As I have said in an earlier post, I think it is less the quality of the binding on two-plus-two books that causes this problem, but the higher quality, heavier paper used that is superior to many paperbacks, but puts more stress on the binding.

The printing costs may be prohibitive, but maybe Mason and David could offer hardcover and/or spiral bound copies for people who have this problem.

But I, for one, don't want them switching to cheaper paper.

Frank
Old 02-07-2005, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

As I have said in an earlier post, I think it is less the quality of the binding on two-plus-two books that causes this problem, but the higher quality, heavier paper used that is superior to many paperbacks, but puts more stress on the binding.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure that's the reason. I think the binding technique or the QC on the binding may be more to blame.

My copy of TOP printed in Feb 2004 has no problems at all, and it has seen the same amount of use as SSHE, which I bought at the same time. But my copy of SSHE is in very sorry shape. The quality and weight of the paper is the same, but the binding seems to be different. Looking at the top and bottom of the TOP spine, the glue is very even, and you can see distinct groups of 16 pages (publishing people call these "signatures of 16") where they contact the glue. I can't see if the pages are sewn together, and I'm not going to destroy the spine to find out, but I think they are.

With SSHE, I can see the threads between the pages in many places where the spine is cracked. And I can't tell how many pages are grouped together, or even if they're divided in the first place...

Somebody else suggested that 2+2 look into getting the books Smythe sewn. I googled the term and found that this binding technique is used mostly for hardcover books, but publishers of high quality paperback books also use it.

Assuming that the pages of my copy of TOP are sewn, I think it might have a Smythe sewn binding. If anybody knows otherwise, please correct me...

In any case, I'd be willing to pay a few more dollars for books that don't fall apart, just like most people are saying. I don't abuse books or force them to lay flat, and my copy of HOH that I bought last month already has the same problems as my copy of SSHE...

I think 2+2 should really look into finding a solution to this problem.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:28 AM

The spiral binding makes it a hell of a lot easier to read/study. I had it done to HPFAP and SSH and plan to have it done for my other 2+2 books as well. I highly recommend it.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:18 AM

I don't diddly-dickeroo about books.

All I know is that I have some paper-backs with thinner paper that have just as many pages as 2+2 books that i can fairly easily lay reasonably flat and they don't fall apart.

With 2+2 books you would really have to crack them to keep them open.
I like reading them (or another book) if I'm at the diner getting breakfast or coffee or something. But with the 2+2 books it is really hard to keep them open 1-handed.
Whereas with a thinner book (ITH for example) I can pretty much put the ketchup bottle on one corner and the sugar-container or napkin container on the other...and voila, no-handed reading.

With the 2+2 books...when my breakfast arrives I'll pretty much put the book away and switch to the newspaper or something. It just seems like the pages are TOO thick. And perhaps too narrow...i wouldn't mind wider-pages also.