Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2005, 10:08 PM

Default Re: basic triple draw probability questions

[ QUOTE ]
heh i feel so stupid for asking this, but how big does the pot have to be for me to draw 2 cards on the last draw heads up asssuming my opponent is standing pat on a rough 8 or even a 9, and i had say, 234KK?

a) assume i had discarded a 2,3 before.
b) assume i had discarded two blanks.

[/ QUOTE ]
(a) and (b) are the same, assuming a blank is anything other than a 5, 6, 7, or 8. (If you had discarded a 2 or 3, that decreases your chance of pairing up; but it doesn't increase or decrease your chance of beating the pat hand any more than having discarded paint would.)

If you have 234KK against 35678, you have to draw a 57, 58, 67, 68, or 78 to win. You are a 16.3-1 dog to do so.

(There are 40 unseen cards if you've only discarded two so far; although you probably should have discarded at least four. 6/40 * 6/39 + 6/40 * 9/39 = 0.0577 = 16.3-1 against.)
Old 02-05-2005, 09:47 AM

Chris, you seem extremely talented at poker. You seem quite young as well, and I suspect you could get real good at poker.

However, these are really simple probability problems, and I suggest you learn how to do them if you want to progress to the next level.

Sorry if this comes across as patronising, but it is clear from reading your posts that you are easily smart enough to work this stuff out on your own, once you learn the technique.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Chris, you seem extremely talented at poker. You seem quite young as well, and I suspect you could get real good at poker.

However, these are really simple probability problems, and I suggest you learn how to do them if you want to progress to the next level.

Sorry if this comes across as patronising, but it is clear from reading your posts that you are easily smart enough to work this stuff out on your own, once you learn the technique.

[/ QUOTE ]

partygirluk all this is very polite.

I wanted to know how the f**k he had become a carpal tunnel without knowing such basic probability calculations?