Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-02-2005, 02:26 AM

Default Negativity, anger, etc. in poker. I have a major problem.

I've been reading these forums for a while, but I have a question that I would like some advice on. Basically, how do you purge negativity and anger from your mind when playing?

I find myself getting so *angry* at poker and poker players, even though they have been very good to me. I hate the fish when they suck out and I hate them when they don't suck out. I play angry constantly, even though I don't believe it affects my game. Does everyone get super angry when they play? Is it just me?

All of this is a little hard to admit, and I don't think I have an anger problem in any other area of my life (I have a very stressful job as a lawyer and it doesn't get to me there). But when I play poker, I just seem to absolutely despise the people I am playing against, unless they are close friends. When I beat some fish, I actually hate the fact that they even tried to draw out on me (irrational, I know) and when they beat me I just want to kill them.

I'd really like some help. I know that the fish help me enormously, and I know that chasing is actually good for me, but I can't seem to shake the rage that comes over me when I play, even when I am winning. I am not on a downswing, and that's why I am posting this. I am actually on the best upswing of my poker career, and I realized that even in spite of this I am *still* angry. So that's why I am asking for help, because it's clear that it's a problem for me in spite of great results recently.

Any advice will be heeded and much appreciated. Flames will be ignored, so don't bother.

Thanks to any who can help.