Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2005, 10:40 PM

Default Re: Stars 5/10

Yes he could have AK here.

Preflop, against a button raise you might reraise with AK, but usually I would just call in this spot.

On the flop, I would raise with AK naturally, but it is not impossible.

One of the main skills when you get to higher levels is realizing that TPTK is not enough for your stack. When your opponent bets into you on the flop and then on the turn with AK, what can you put him on that you beat?

JJ? KJ? While KJ could certainly be in Hero's hand based on the action (opening from the button when folded to) I think it highly unlikely KJ bets the turn. In fact, when villian calls here on this drawless board, KJ is most likely going to check fold the turn barring improvement..

JJ is very unlikely to fire a second barrel.

So Villian, with AK, can split the pot, beat a hugely overplayed hand, and beat a bluff. He loses to almost all reasonable holdings.

(Note I had missed the fact that it was short handed earlier. This increases the likelyhood that hero is stealing preflop and on the flop, but I still believe my turn analysis is accruate).
Old 02-02-2005, 12:20 AM

I really dont like the turn play at all, I think the only way you can overbet the pot like you did is if you have a better hand and want to play for your whole stack or you can get away from your hand when he pushes. You do this with a hand that doesnt really fit into either catergory. If you dont think you can get away from AA here then keep the pot alot smaller, as i think you are far behind at this spot to a good player.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm overbetting the pot to test the waters.

He pauses for 5 seconds and pushes. I call.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not saying your play is necessarily wrong, but this sequence seems inconsistent to me. what exactly were you testing?
Old 02-02-2005, 10:20 AM

You lose.

-Jason
Old 02-02-2005, 10:59 AM

i think you want to keep this pot much smaller. You don't have to check the turn, but bet around 150. This way if he raises you with a stronger holding, you can fold without a huge loss. If he just has a King, he will call and you will be 87% to win a nice pot. But i don't like commiting such a big chunk of your stack with your hand. I think you are behind here for often then not, there aren't many flops worse for AA than KQx. Your still good sometimes, but not usually when someone wants to put their whole stack in the middle.

Gabe
Old 02-02-2005, 04:14 PM

id rather risk a free card in a smallish pot than put another 1100 in against a good solid player.

that being said since you posted it, he was prob. semi-bluffing. did he hit?
Old 02-03-2005, 12:22 AM

Default Results

He had the other aces.