Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2005, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Live 5/10 Interesting Hand - Typical \"Way Ahead or Way Behind\"

yeah there was a very similar hand at the bike a couple of days ago.

however i didn't think it could be you because the players didn't really fit the description you presented.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a cute line would be:

check behind, call the turn, raise the river.

or just play it normal and bet here.

[/ QUOTE ]i think your "cute line" is normal for most. i think you MUST bet here. how will you win a huge pot checking?
Old 01-31-2005, 11:39 PM

Hi Steve,

I hear what you're saying....couple things though.....if you're going to use the 5% probability logic, when exactly are those times that you might not go broke to a villain with 99.....when you have a read, the pot odds are questionable, etc. right?.....I just think that sometimes these probabilities cannot be looked at purely from a game theory perspective (of course sometimes they can as well).....

also, keep in mind that the pot on the flop is less than 8% of my remaining stack.....I can honestly say that I will NOT always go broke with my hand on that flop with the right read, etc (I am not necessarily justifying this particular hand, but just saying generally)......also, if we're gonna talk probability, it should be acknowledged that it's very possible for AK to be a likely holding for him (more combinations than for a pair) - in which case he's quite the type to bluff two barrels on the turn and river if I check the flop (as well as call two barrels if he fishes for/hits an ace or king).......but I see the point you're making and I guess the whole point is: am I/should I be committed to going to felt with my hand with that flop......also, remember I haven't given the results yet.... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-18-2005, 06:52 PM

based on your description of his range of check-raising hands you certainly want money in the pot. bet the flop, call the check raise and take it from there. if he would bet AA or KK all the way you just call him down from there. if he's got enough spunk to try that with AK you definitely call all the way. and in general you will put your head down and call all the way. if he checks again it gets more difficult, but not by much. don't worry about thinking about the hand during the hand. take your time.

matt