Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2005, 11:08 AM

Default Re: JJ in the BB

[ QUOTE ]
FLOP: Hmmm... is MP1 raising a flush draw, or a pair of queens. You don't know, so you can't give up yet. I suggest this line:

Simply call his raise, then lead out on the turn and see how he reacts. If he raises you on the turn, FOLD. If he just calls (implying more of a flush draw). Lead out on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this line....
Old 01-31-2005, 11:19 AM

Easy call. MP1 has a flush draw or an 8 enough times for this call to be profitable.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:50 AM

Is folding after the flop raise a really bad thing to do?

After MP2 calling the two cold I would think I'm behind a big majority of the time and it will probably cost at least 2.5BB to call down in this not yet so big pot. If you're in fact behind, the jack of spades might also be dirty and you're in that case drawing to only one out. For the times you're actually ahead you will probably get drawn out on a decent amount of times further decreasing the value of calling down.

Weak-tight? Maybe so. I'm really struggling in situations like these and feel I pay off better hands much too often while not making the most when I'm ahead.

Note that I think it would be totally different if MP2 hadn't called the flop cold, that's where my alarm goes off...
Old 01-31-2005, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FLOP: Hmmm... is MP1 raising a flush draw, or a pair of queens. You don't know, so you can't give up yet. I suggest this line:

Simply call his raise, then lead out on the turn and see how he reacts. If he raises you on the turn, FOLD. If he just calls (implying more of a flush draw). Lead out on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this line....

[/ QUOTE ]

With your line, I would have folded the turn or river. The line quoted is a great idea.

It works nicely because on the turn you redraw to a gutshot and now have 6 outs to beating TPTK or 2 pair. If I calculated it correctly, your pot equity on the turn is 1.95, so a stop and go has more than just read value here. The only hand I would fear is two pair, and I think the read value of a stop and go helps you out great here.

Good hand.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:13 PM

These are those marginal situations that I have difficulty with, too. Just last night I followed the same exact line with TT on almost exactly the same board. Villain showed middle pair big kicker and my hand was good.

I keep waffling between raising and just calling the turn, but I don't think an average player is going to fold a Q in $2/$4 to a turn check-raise but he will fold middle pair. So the raise wouldn't buy much, especially out of position.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:55 PM

I agree with you. Most people don't even mention MP2 in their comments but he makes this hand completely different. In general, people on this board tend to advise playing ultaggressive and a bit loose(and by that I mean more aggressive/loose than SSH suggests).