Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2005, 12:05 PM

Default Re: How did I do on this one?

Wow, you took a guy's stack with quads over his full? What line did you take?
Old 01-28-2005, 01:19 PM

Well worst, I don't doubt your ability to outplay your opponents post-flop, but I don't like this hand. I don't like your PF raise, though I do understand your rationale. I do think that given the board you played fine. you essentially hit every card you would need to split with a better ace, and even without the boat, you would have had aces up and taken it down. I just don't think this type of play will work in general. That being said, I know you would be able to ditch the hand if you felt dominated, so it is fine. I guess what all this mumbling is supposed to get across is I wouldn't expect to win a lot with this type of play, but I wouldn't expect to lose much either.

- ToT
Old 01-28-2005, 01:27 PM

Thanks for your vote of confidence, but I actually do not have a lot of experience at all at 6 max and am therefore trying to figure out the best way to play these types of scenarios where one guy is an extreme fish and if i can play him heads up all day i can take his stack all day. In any case, I would have saved myself a lot of money if I hadn't played against a guy who was going to turn quads with his 54o. So much for being tight. Stupid pokertracker. Anyways, thanks for your comment. Maybe I should play crap like A8o the normal way (i.e. muck)
Old 01-28-2005, 01:31 PM

if you believe the rest of the table is tight enough to fold to your preflop raise a lot of the times, or at least not call with A higher kicker, I think this move is ok.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:34 PM

Well, I knew the BB would call with any two and the CO was pretty tight. But does the fact that he is pretty tight mean that I shouldn't raise because he is more likely to have a decent hand (he actually didn't preflop in this instance, but of course ended up with a nice one) or does it mean I should be more likely to raise because his tightness means he will be unlikely to call a raise? I'm still trying to figure this whole LP/blinds play out.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I knew the BB would call with any two and the CO was pretty tight. But does the fact that he is pretty tight mean that I shouldn't raise because he is more likely to have a decent hand (he actually didn't preflop in this instance, but of course ended up with a nice one) or does it mean I should be more likely to raise because his tightness means he will be unlikely to call a raise? I'm still trying to figure this whole LP/blinds play out.

[/ QUOTE ]

its ok that he calls a raise. what you want to find out is if he is the type to call a raise with A9, AT, AJ, AQ. Usually good players don't, therefore I will often raise with KQ, AJ in the blinds when there are multiple limpers.

however, since he was in the BB, you didn't have the benefit of knowing whether he would have raised had you not raised, so its a sticky situation. with 1 player though, its not too much of a risk.

The problem with this hand is that you will have to hit the A to win. hitting the 8 wont do it. The size of your kicker is a problem but a small one. The bigger problem is you have 1/6 chance of pairing the A on the flop. And if villain has calling station tendencies with midpair, 3rd pair, you might find yourself in trouble. How would you have played it if it flopped say 5 8 K rainbow or 8 T K rainbow?

or if its 2 flush. now you don't know whether he is on the draw or he has mid pair/ low pair.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:52 PM

Preflop is perfect.

Next time just call down and don't misread your hand. Also, if BB folds and CC bets the turn which is a blank you have to fold but I think you know that,