Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2005, 02:46 AM

Default Re: Online Random Card Generators

I think a lot of the "rigged" stories come from the fact that online play is generally tighter and better than live play, due to multi-tabling.

For example, I know that the last five times I flopped trips (pokerroom $25NL), someone else had the case card, and all five ended up being all-in hands, where I busted 4 times with a lower kicker. But I don't think this is because online is rigged, it's because the online NL players won't put lots of money in with a paired flop if they don't have trips. In a live game, if you flop trip nines on a K99 board, someone with a pair of kings is likely to pay you off decently well. Not so in an online game. Therefore, you forget about the small pots you win when you flop trips, and remember all the big ones where someone else had the case card.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:41 AM

I dont know 100% about RCG, but cards I know. I have played lots of hands live and lots online. Have never seen a royal live and seen tons on line. Have seen quads at least once during a session but have seen four or five in short periods online. What are the likelihood assumptions? They may be random but they also do things that human shuffles dont. I dont get RCG's but playing cards is still fun online for small stakes. I wouldnt invest huge sums in something I just don't know for sure. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 01-26-2005, 10:14 AM

That is awesome, I, and all of my friends, play there. Thanks for the link.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They may be random but they also do things that human shuffles dont.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they don't. Atleast not Party, as that was the one analyzed here. Just as many quads, straights, monotone flops, aces when hero held pocket kings etc etc as expected.

But if winning players choose to stay off the net, who am I to argue. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-26-2005, 12:23 PM

I agree with kowboy. From what I've seen at Party during my two months, the board cards some in sets. I've pretty much figured out that you have three basic boards you can see. The low board (2-9) the middle board (6-J) and the High board (9-A). Now I know the boards overlap, but that's not the important part. What is important is that all these make perfect strait material. The more I play, the more often I can predict the river card (no lie I was able to correctly call the card number of the river 5 times last night and only played 45 minutes).

Now this sort of thing won't show up when you try to figure out if a RNG is working or not cus all you have to do is vary when these 3 types hit. if each show up one third of the time, then you're still going to see a every card show up the correct percentage of the time.

I've never played in a B&M before so I'm probably just being paranoid, but once you start looking for this stuff, you see it almost every hand.

The upside is if I have over cards and a low or middle board hits, i just muck my cards cus i know that most of the time, i'm not going to see the Q or K hit on 4th or 5th, and even if they do, someone's probably already got a straight or flush.

Now I know everyone is going to want to point out that they see mixed boards all the time, and it's true they happen a lot. But how often do you see a mixed board where the at show down one guy has a full house and the other guy has top two pair? And of course, the full house was made on the river. I just think that the poker sites know that if the players have big hands, they'll bet more and therefore they make sure people get those big hands.

Just my thoughts.

P.S. I'm up currently so this isn't just a "bitter cus i'm broke" rant
Old 01-26-2005, 12:29 PM

Could I interest you in a good patern mapper so you can predict that river card every time?
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-26-2005, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What are the likelihood assumptions?

[/ QUOTE ]

That you have selective memory and do not understand probability. These two would would be the most likely assumptions.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:32 PM

"I think a lot of the "rigged" stories come from the fact that online play is generally tighter and better than live play, due to multi-tabling."

In addition to that, hasn't fulltilt been pretty tough lately? i don't play there- most of the competition seems to be, on avarage, a lot tougher than other sites.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:07 PM

I play mostly online, but I have played live enough to have a pretty good feel for how live play goes, and I just don't see any significant difference. This is a strictly intuitive take. I don't have any numbers to cite for either live or online play, but, accouning for the difference in the pace of play, my feeling is that bad beats, two strong hands at a time, miracle river cards, etc. are no more common online than in live play. When you are dealing with random events, strange, low probability things happen from time to time. Bad runs happen. It's not likely that the RNG, or the dealer, is out to get you.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:14 PM

oh, another thing i forgot to ask. does anyone else notice that when they've got more than one table open at a time you tend to get very similar hole cards at each? Again, maybe just me overthinking this, but it seems like i'll be sitting there folding crap on both tables, then i'll hit a string of really good stuff at both tables. then after about 3 hands like that, i go back to crap at both. the ups and downs just match up so damn well.

/yes i do have my tinfoil hat on, thanks for asking