Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2005, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Slowplaying

[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed)
River: (9 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>.

Final Pot: 16 BB

suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if you didn't lose this one, I'd be kicking myself when re-raised on the river.

At this stage in my development, I'm a HUGE proponent of not slowplaying in ring games. I know there might be times, but until I am the king of "knowing when," I just ram &amp; jam if I have the best hand.

The reason your post caught my eye is that I think slowplaying like this just plain sucks. Get your money in with the best of it and watch players call you down anyway. I had a guy calling and then river re-raising me with A high vs. my FH the other day.

Today I was in the BB and checked with QT in a two-handed pot. Flop comes QQT. SB bets, I re-raise, SB calls. On the turn, SB checks, I bet, SB folds.

My first thought was: "If ever there was a time to slowplay, it was THEN with the super-nuts." So it looks like I may have found a time.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's terrible thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-24-2005, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That's terrible thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-24-2005, 11:17 PM

one question, wouldn't i wait till the turn to raise, given that the flop wasn't too dangerous. it could be dangerous if he held QJ but i dont imagine that he'd reraise pf. and raising the flop would make him passive, when i could wait to raise with the bigger bets.. suggestions?
Old 01-24-2005, 11:29 PM

he capped from the blind.. if he has QQ, and folds or slows down, so be it. if he has AK/AA, he'll often 3-bet the flop or check-raise you on the turn.. both good things.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A line that I find to work frequently is: I would have raised the flop, but not capped it. He will undoubtedly lead out on the turn again, and if you're lucky he'll three bet it again where you can cap it then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree with this. This line should always get more money in than waiting until the river to come alive. And it will ensure that you get more of your money in with the best of it.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
one question, wouldn't i wait till the turn to raise, given that the flop wasn't too dangerous. it could be dangerous if he held QJ but i dont imagine that he'd reraise pf. and raising the flop would make him passive, when i could wait to raise with the bigger bets.. suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

He doesn't know what you have. Your three bet on the flop to him probably looks like top pair/good kicker. What if he had flopped 2 pair? Or a lower set? Don't be quick to assume that just because you hand is making you drool on the flop that your opponent didn't catch part of it as well and isn't willing to go to war.

These situations alone are worth the price of all the times you bet your flopped straight and everyone folds.

And I just want to say I TOTALLY agree with the guy that said "If you never slowplayed at the micro-limits you probably wouldn't be making much of a mistake." These are words to live by. You'd be surprised what people are willing to chase your 3 bets all the way to the river with.

Pep.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:50 PM

I thought we cured the slowplaying epidemic from a couple weeks ago, don't start it back up
Old 01-25-2005, 01:32 PM

The closest I get to "slowplaying" this hand is calling a 3-bet on the flop instead of capping to increase the chances of him helping me cap the turn.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:56 PM

A set of kings is not a slowplay hand.. A flopped nut flush is about the worst hand I'd even think about slow playing, other hands are vulnerable, as you found out here.. Top set on a rainbow board turned into a possible str8 and a possible flush, either or which are too common to slowplay a set. A flopped boat, quads, str8flush, etc.. THOSE are slowplay hands.