Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2005, 09:24 PM

Default Re: I hate hands like this. AQo misses the board vs. turn raise

If you can count your Ace as three full outs, the call on the turn is correct. But I'm not sure that you can, and therefore, I think it's OK if you fold the turn here.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:27 PM

In most cases, AQo is far the best, so you still gots to gamble. But against tricky/weird opponents, I hate playing possibly dominated hands out of position, so I like your line in those situations.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:16 AM

Sometimes when I'm running bad, it seems like my standard line with AQo is:

Limp, raise, some folds, BB calls, limper calls.

Check, check, bet, call, fold.

Check, bet, checkraise, fold.

I know that changes the positions from what took place in the actual hand, but that's how it seems at times.

And I do worry sometimes that people are taking shots at me and I'm getting pushed around. When, as a result, I go ahead and call down, I hardly ever win the hand, unfortunately. The turn checkraise isn't always a monster, but it seems like it's almost always something better than my ace-high.

But I don't call down all that often in such spots, so I don't really know what I folded the turn or river to, much of the time.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:40 AM

This happens sometimes. I would call the turn because you have 4 strong straight outs, 3 marginal ace outs, and some chance that the 3 queens will win. That should provide the 5.75 effective outs required for a 7-1 call. Your implied odds are slightly positive because a straight will almost always win an extra bet on the river. That will pay for the times an ace or queen loses you another bet.

It helps your outs that he checked preflop instead of trying a steal. If he has a pair there is a good chance the kicker is not an ace. There is also an increased chance that his pair is not a king which means your queen could be clean.

It is also possible that this is a pure semibluff (flush/OESD) in which case you might back into victory through a free showdown. This is an invisible source of equity for your call. This would be a bad time to huddle over your call because that might provoke the fatal river bluff. You have virtually the worst possible showdown hand. From his perspective there are many made hands that you could call down with that don't beat a king but cannot be bluffed off the pot. So a follow up bluff on the river is far from inevitable.