Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2005, 09:31 AM

Default Re: Waiting until the turn...

[ QUOTE ]
I think raising the flop is problematic. There are 4 players in the pot, none of them are likely to fold, and my hand is extremely vulnerable to both overcards and the flush draw. My hope was that I'll be able to get my raise in when I have a better equity edge.

[/ QUOTE ]

You bet because you want to make the people drawing for the flush PAY to do so. You're most likely ahead at this point and when you're ahead you go for it. If not you're playing scared.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would be very surprised if you could figure out what he had. Obviously, I lost the hand, and felt bad for the 3BB I threw away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess he had pocket 3s or made a low straight on his small suited cards. Maybe he had 75s?
Old 01-21-2005, 09:55 AM

Default Re: K9s trying to break a losing streak...

Raise the flop and fold the turn, standard. If you raise the flop you may not have to call 2 cold on the turn,

Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone think K9s is a loose call PF? I'd autofold this without even thinking about it, but I'm starting to think with all the posts on these hands that I should be playing more of em. I recently let myself get a little looser with suited 'crap' completing in the SB, this situation is somewhat similar. How many limpers do you want in there to play Kxs? Qxs?
Old 01-21-2005, 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but does anyone think K9s is a loose call PF?

[/ QUOTE ]

on the button, i am raising KTs here (ie 2 limpers), and limping K/9-7s. i would fold Q9s. i rarely play Q/9-7s from late position unless the table is very loose and passive.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:23 AM

??? A raise on the flop is just what a flush draw wants to see. Everybody's put in 1 bet, now they're all trapped for one more.

[ QUOTE ]
You bet because you want to make the people drawing for the flush PAY to do so. You're most likely ahead at this point and when you're ahead you go for it. If not you're playing scared.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like waiting till the turn to raise here. You're right in that your hand is extremely vulnerable, and a flop raise really doesn't do much for you. The pot is relatively small, however, to turn on the aggro. and raise the turn. In your situation, easy turn fold.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You bet because you want to make the people drawing for the flush PAY to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here we go again... Charging Flush Draws

[ QUOTE ]
You're most likely ahead at this point and when you're ahead you go for it. If not you're playing scared.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to rethink this a little, because it's not quite true. There are times when you're ahead, but you don't want to go for it. Search around for "waiting until the turn" to find some examples. There are also cases on the river where you don't want to raise even if you think you're ahead.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:03 PM

I like waiting for the turn here for exactly what happened. This is almost better than the SSH example of waiting for the turn IMO. Not to be results oriented but your position relative to the flop bettor on this hand sets you up beautifully to wait see and what develops on the turn. Your equity isn't that great considering how many cards could come on the turn and screw things up. If you raise the flop you are also very likely to get check-raised on the turn or slowplayed/ sandbagged when someone improves. In that situation you have a tough call because the pot is so big and probably throw away 3BB's in the process.

All that said being able to fold when things do develop on the turn is the main reason I like it.