Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2005, 10:19 PM

Default Re: a 99 hand

How is it loose to raise 99 here?
Old 01-19-2005, 10:23 PM

I hate to go back to the book argument but if it's 'clearly' right to raise then why does Miller not suggest doing so? It's certainly possible that he is wrong but I'll atleast give him the benefit of the doubt from now.... even though I think in general it is going to be very close to the same EV if you raise or call with 99 in EP in a tight game so it's not that big of a deal either way.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:27 PM

Your "book argument" isn't an argument. You're just stating what's on the preflop chart of SSH. Miller isn't wrong and neither is Evan. Miller just presents an overall guideline that shouldn't be interepreted as dogma, but rather a blue print to get you started. As game conditions and player skills vary widely, so does the optimal play.

Stick around here, post hands, and read why people suggest they play the way they do, I promise you'll be glad you did.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate to go back to the book argument but if it's 'clearly' right to raise then why does Miller not suggest doing so?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know. I don't even have the book in front of me. I think that it says to raise TT there. If that's the case you cannot convince me that a good postlfop player that is making more by raising TT will not also make more by raising 99. (Please don't waste time by completing this all the way down to 22)

[ QUOTE ]
I think in general it is going to be very close to the same EV if you raise or call with 99 in EP in a tight game

[/ QUOTE ]
Why do you think that? It sounds pretty random to me.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:33 PM

It's impossible to tell for this situation, but on many "tight" tables the SSHE chart does not apply. It's common for juicy loose tables in 2/4 to degenerate into aggressive blind wars where 3 players MAX see the flop and almost every pot is raised (a far cry from the passive 3-5 in Miller's charts). If this one hand (like I said clearly not enough to base my claim on) indicates such a table, I think a raise is a must here.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:35 PM

This doesn't sound like any 2/4 game I've ever played on Party.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:37 PM

This table was not tight. Just because a bunch of people folded for *two cold* preflop doesn't make a table tight. Flops were regularly 5-6 handed for one bet and 3-4 for 2 bets.

In other news, I actually posted this hand looking for feedback on the postflop play. Standard? Too weak?
Old 01-19-2005, 10:39 PM

Postlfop is fine.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:40 PM

really? you must get up earlier from a souring table then me. It seems like the natural progression of good tables to slowly get tighter until they're wrinkly old stinkers. Anyone else find this to be true, or am I crazy/otherwise deficient?
Old 01-19-2005, 10:42 PM

1. Every 2/4 table I've ever seen has been very loose passive.
2. Yea, I do try to leave games when they are not great. As you move up in limits this becomes increasingly important.