Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2005, 02:39 PM

Default Re: So Passive

I fold pre-flop without much thought.

I bet this flop without much thought.

Obviously either choice would make this hand play out much differently.

I'd consider betting out on that turn if I check-called the flop. Given the rest of the hand, river fold is fine.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not raise the turn?

/mc

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't play the 15, but I was wondering the same thing. Isn't it worth trying to blast out MP2s overcards here?
Old 01-19-2005, 03:14 PM

Josh,

Want to post your thought process for me? I'm not sure what you had in mind here.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:15 PM

Bet or check raise the flop. Without that, the rest of the hand is hard to fix.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:20 PM

For some reason I never wait for the "safe turn"...because Im not sure it's safe. My line is to bet out on the flop, AK will raise you or fold...and then a second bet on the turn he'll fold, or your beat and can safely fold to a raise.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Or are there extenuating circumstances here?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

immense implied odds

[/ QUOTE ]

ummmmm....not if you dont ever bet.... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

anyway preflop is fine

I bet the flop here and hope mp raises an drives everyone out. Then I lead the turn.

As you played, you could consider a turn checkraise but I am not sure you are ahead enough here. Actually, you proly are as he would play any pair like this.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:13 PM

A general post to anyone questioning the preflop play:

Making these kinds of calls are things that you can avoid doing and 2/4 and 3/6 when so many pots are multiway and played very passively. But when you play in more aggressive games where the majority of the pots are 3 or maybe 4 handed these blind defense situations become very important. Defending with a hand like 96s (or 87o or something like that), where your implied odds on flopping a pair are tremendous and your risk of domination is minimal, becoms a crucial part of the game.

I don't think Josh played this hand well at all, but that does not make the preflop call incorrect.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For some reason I never wait for the "safe turn"...because Im not sure it's safe.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not suggesting that hero wait for a safe turn. I'm wondering why in this case he didn't raise this turn.

/mc
Old 01-19-2005, 05:39 PM

This is a good example of hoping your hand is good vs. thinking that your hand is good. This is one of the biggest problems with my game too so I am glad you posted a hand like this.

Pre-flop is fine...I personally prefer to be a little more connected than that... but it's not a big deal and I have sponged in the BB with worse than this before.

I think you have to bet the flop and hope the PF raiser protects your hand for you. From there you can feel your way to a showdown.

Given that you did not bet the flop you are kind of flying blind. On the turn, I am not even sure what is best between leading, check-calling and check-folding (yes, I know we have top pair on a rainbow board). Folding the river seems standard when Captain Overcards comes back to life again.

Interesting hand... keep 'em coming.

-tpir
Old 01-19-2005, 05:58 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
Josh,

Want to post your thought process for me? I'm not sure what you had in mind here.

[/ QUOTE ]

because everytime I bet the flop, I get raised and then 2 or 3 people cold-call, and I'm in the same situation anyway, so I figured I'd try something different. if more people had folded, I would've fired at the turn. if I hit a backdoor out, I would've fired at the turn. but with a bet and 3 callers, with top pair no kicker and no other outs, I didn't think my hand was so strong.